Chipatti
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Sagemcon F@st 5355 Manual

OK sorry I didn't see the link. Got it now. Thanks

janestod
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi.

I have been trying to log in to this modem on 10.0.0.138 for the past several hours, but just get 'This site can't be reached' on multiple browsers. 

Am I likely to be able to access my modem settings in the near future???

*great* service as usual Smiley Sad

janestod

Has anybody else had any luck??? Still a no go for me. Is phoning Telstra Tech Support a complete waste of my time???
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Are you using Gateway in Bridge mode? In Bridge mode cannot log into the gateway's. GUI.

If not in Bridge mode have you checked the address of the gateway.?

On a PC open a command prompt and run ipconfig. Look for Default gateway. In the example below it is http://192.168.178.1

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:8003:a0af:3800:28c0:de6a:bc9:6574
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:8003:a0af:3800:ece1:d01d:8b8f:9c3d
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28c0:de6a:bc9:6574%2
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.71
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a3e:5dff:fe13:958d%2

hurstb
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your work.  It solved my problem 

Kat66

Thanks so much. This helped me poor that the online support, which I had difficulty with on my mobile, so rang tech support and got nowhere (Sorry mate the phone does not have anyway to plug into the wall socket- its nbn). The bits that came in the box - nigh on useless. This helped me in 5 minutes after I wasted an hour and a half. Interestingly though - I could only find this site after connecting as the modem would not come up in a Telstra site search. Hope this helps someone else too.
Kat66

@Jimmy Lo - Crowd Support - Do you work for Telstra as crowd support? If so perhaps rather than praising someone for coming up with something  that should have been provided to the poor consumers - you could share the multi millions of $ in profit with him - or better yet suggest that a guide was included in the first place to your powers that be? Just a thought.....

PaulaJ

Thank you for creating the Manual.

Unfortunately when I get to the Telstra Gateway page 10.0.0.138 to Log In it won't allow me to do it.

I do not have any passwords given to me for it. I have tried all other passwords I know including my actual Telstra password with no avail. I keep being told 'Incorrect password'. Should I press the reset button. If so what do I do from there?

I'm just hoping to go in and see if my son's Playstation has some how been blocked as it isn't able to find my wifi and the manual entering of my wifi isn't working either. I just need to get in and see if this is the problem or the playstation.

Thanks

PaulaJ

I just worked out that the 2.4ghtz had been disabled..... How could this happen when I can't even log in to change any settings. Our playstation 4 runs on 2.4. No wonder it couldn't find it. Please help! How can I log in?

cf4

The default password is admin and is case sensitive. If that doesn't work you can try powering gateway off and then back on. If still can't log in reset the gateway by pressing reset button with a paper clip until the gateway turns off. The gateway should then reboot resetting all setting to factory defaults. The 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band should turn on and you should be able to log into  the gateway.

PaulaJ

OMG!!!!!!! Thank you so much. After 3 days of my children unable to go online with their playstation, it finally works.

I pressed the reset and all is good once again. Amazing how one simple button can change things. I once again have peace in my house.

Thank you

snapperone

Hi, Telstra should put this brilliant man on the payroll. Why can't telstra have a management team that looks after their paying customers better. I, like I am sure many others have experienced so many problems with the new roll out and of course they can't talk to each other so us the customers are left in the dark.

I had the NBN man arrive to fit the new box. yep only one box because we had the fibre cable fitted already.

Because our house has quite a lot of wi fi devises he suggested the I call Telsta to send a tech out and help me fit it.

In the mean time he told me until the new telstra gateway is fitted I will be back to normal with my current internet working.

"This will stay this way until the new gateway is fitted." This was his actual words. About 6.00 pm that night we where off the air and telstra wanted me to login. They had changed the hookup in the exchange that afternoon with out telling me the customer. No more internet.

About 1 and a half hours later I had telstra on the phone guiding me through the new gateway installation. OK we made it but as I said we have several wifi things in the house, one being CBUS HOME CONTROL USING THE WISER APP . We are able to control most things using our phone. We inherited this when we bought the house.

I now have to pay for a cbus tech to come to our house to try and make it work.

Why did Telstra not  send a proper (33 page manual) with the unit and warn us of the problems and many like me face.

Very poor and now I will be out of pocket because of what,  the rush to get everyone NBNed.

Not happy Jan.

Well done. Level 22: Superhuman

SNAPPERONE

js171020

My SIMPLE question for the modem, and still looking for this, is how many REN loads can the Green phone socket take, I know, I know a bit old fashioned compared to the other IT fluff but it's an important bit of data as I have several phones all over the house, seems to be working well but I'd rather know the specs for that socket.

I'll keep on looking.

Who_is_she

Thanks so much cf4.  

I was looking for answers to two questions, which I had already asked Telstra support earlier today, and received answers I wasn't sure were correct.  You gave different answers in your manual, and both of them worked.

Q1.  I want to change the admin/admin log in.  Can I change that password?  Telstra answered no, it is quite secure without needing to be changed.  cf4 answered yes, it's the first thing I do.

Q2.  I want to set my wifi devices to be allowed to use the gateway by recognising their MAC addresses.  Telstra said no, that is not possible.  cf4 answered yes, and showed how to do it.

Thanks again.  Perhaps you should send your manual to Telstra customer support so they can see how the gateway works.

MaXiLeeCH

@DoogyHouser wrote:

I noticed the same thing a week ago when my opendns stats were not showing any data. Checked my device and saw the DNS set at the local router address. Checked the router and found the DNS had been changed to the local router ip and there was no way to change it to a custom value Smiley Sad {sigh}

I too noticed the change in firmware to not allow different DNS settings, I used to use Googles DNS but once Tel$tra changed the firmware, that stuffed it, so now I set the computers that need it to not use the router's DNS at all, they all point directly to Googles servers.
Voila, The Pirate Bay (and others) are visible again Smiley Happy

Livin' tha dream, Retired at 40!
Josh137

Hi,

Thanks for the time and effort for creating this manual.

Do you know of any information on utilising the 3G/4G Backup?

I have a Telstra Sierra AirCard A320U which i believe was the only one it supported, but not sure how to set it up??

I plugged it in, but the modem appeared to do nothing, i read somewhere it needs to lose the NBN connection before i can turn the 4G on, i did that and then could turn it on, but when i plugged the NBN connection back in, it would not reconnect. I had to manually disable the 4G, unplug the AirCard from the USB port and reboot the modem before it would reconnect the NBN FTTN line. Not exactly very useful as a 'backup' when im not at home and want access to my alarm, home automation and security cameras...

Any help out there??

Cheers,

JB

Regards,
Josh B
Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JB, 

According to the documentation available to me, it should be as simple as plugging the mobile USB adaptor into one of the USB ports of your Sagemcon F@st 5355 and then switching on the enable button. It should automatically detect a loss of signal and kick in.

You can enable the mobile dongle in the modem interface by clicking on the Advanced icon, selecting Internet Settings and then click on the 3G/LTE Backup tab.

Are you able to try again but this time give it a few minutes for the modem to recognise a signal from the NBN FTTN network after reconnecting phone cable back into the DSL port of your Sagemcon F@st 5355?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

chocdb

I have the same issue with the 5355 and the sierra card. Plugging it into the 5355 doesn't seem to do anything at all and the "enable" button is greyed out. Surely there are other users out there that have this issue... Telstra, could you please advise setup?

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you confirm if you tried the suggestions that Kenobi made on 10/11?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

AldousK

Is it just me or this gateway is very picky on the browser to be used to configure it.   I mean if I use IE 11 , I can see the PPP connections and am able to update the user id and password.  But if I use Google chrome or Firefox,  its not appearing.   I also noticed that on the chrome and firefox, the IPV6 address of the devices connected are displayed but on the IE its not being displayed.

AldousK

So, after a few browser tests with http vs https.  Looks like its IE11 when using http will show the PPP connection info.  When you use https, then it behaves like that of Chrome and Firefox.

cf4

I have found there is no difference between browsers.

IPV6 address appear in when using any browser if the have been enabled  in

Advanced > Internet > IP6V Tab

The PPP settings no longer accessible if connected to NBN and the gateway has the latest software (SG7E10001028). Gateways with the original software (SG7E10000824) was able to configure Username, password. and turn PPP on or off using any browser.

AldousK

It might be a cached page on my IE11 when I initially configured it with the earlier firmware version and am still on ADSL.    Also I'm still in transition waiting for the technician to switch me to NBN in a couple of days.    I guess its all about timing, I've been on  my ADSL line for 7 years using the 2wire modem,  suddenly the  modem starts going into power loops, only to find out its the power adapter's capacitor failing, had to find another power adapter with the same voltage rating, just to manage to keep it going.

Thanks.

pjb2615

thanks for the manual @cf4

I've already made use of it, but one thing I'm not clear on is the wifi config. On other modems (this Sagemcon is the third I've had from Telstra in the last five months!) have allowed me to have a single wifi name and the modem selects the correct band to connect to the device.

I cannot see that option with this modem. Am I missing something?

thanks

Peter

cf4

The modem does not have that option, but there is nothing to stop you from changing the SSID of one of the Wi-Fi Bands so that it is the same as the othe Bands SSID. Most modern devices will connect automatically to the 5G band and automatically connect to the 2.4 G Band when the 5G Wi-Fi Band's signal is too weak.

ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

Hi cf4.

Like many others, MANY thanks for the manual. 

I posted a query on another thread (so far no takers) asking how to interpret the usage figures for "Internet Traffic", "Ethernet Network Traffic" and "WiFi Network Traffic" (registering thousands of Gigs of usage) against what is shown in Quick View, (Bandwidth Usage Per Device). 

I've since seen your "28. Known Limitations and Bugs, 12. Traffic Monitor Meters don’t work (Basic > Services > Traffic Monitor)"

I wondered if this had been discussed elsewhere on the web or on CrowdSupport, that I could look at to see others' experiences also? Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere on this thread, I've only skimmed quickly.

Thanks

ausgumbie 

cf4

I haven seen it discussed else were but I can't remember were.  In my experience they don't work correctly.

When the gateway is first turned on all the meters seem to work. At least there is usage recorded but after a few days there is only usage data recorded for the "quick view". The "Internet Traffic", "Ethernet Traffic" and "Wi-Fi Traffic are blank.

The "Quick View" only shows download traffic. It appears to only measure Internet traffic and not the total network traffic.

The data of the meters does not match the data usage on the online meters. There only use is to show which devices have used data and the relative amounts they have used.

pjb2615

thanks for your help @cf4

ausgumbie

Thanks cf4

On my portal, Quick View appears to be showing Down and Up columns of figures (so far!) and a combined usage total at the bottom. Whether they'll bear any relation to what will appear on our Telstra bill .... (we've only been connected to the NBN for about a week or so.) Comparison is not going to be easy, I'm thinking. The other night I went from Quick View to myAccount and found the usage figures there were 4 days behind. If I can manage a comparison somehow, I'll report back for interest.

Ha! I see what you mean about the other buttons! I clicked on WiFi and Internet Traffic buttons and - nothing now! There were still columns and figures under Ethernet. Wonder how long they'll appear there. 

Do you think Elbonians made the F@st 5355?

Many thanks again

ausgumbie

daez

thanks heaps for this, i have been having constant problems with my new (a couple of months) modem, but was having connection issues even with the old one, hence why they gave me a new one. but still connection issues with wifi connections. am sooo over telstra, am thinking of changing, but seriously cannot be bothered with the hassle.
so hopefully, i can do some diagnostics on the modem and even maybe set it to restart itself on schedule, we will see.
but seriously telstra, your nbn and support is pretty pathetic atm.
Inspired

How to I enable or get or check if NAT Loopback is working?
cf4

Check the firmware version located top right o the Basic Home page. Only the gateways with the original firmware (8a.58.74.4) did not support NAT loop back. If the gateway has firmware 8a.58.101.15 or 8a.58.116.10. There is no setting to turn it on or off.

theSorcerer

Like many others, thank you for your excellent work.

I would like to make a correction relating to address reservations though.

Understanding this properly requires a good understanding of IP addressing, so let us work with the examples that you have.

IP addressing has two components, the IP address of your network and the subnet mask. The subnet mask sets the size of the network.

In the images in section 27, in the LAN/DHCP part you use the IP address 10.0.0.138 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.1, also with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

This means that in each case you are using a network starting at 10.0.0.0 or 192.168.0.0 that has 256 addresses. Two addresses are reserved, the first and the last, so you only get 254 addresses that you can use, 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.254 or 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254.

Now let us look at the part where the DHCP pool is set. The addresses in here do not have to be the whole IP range that you set up in LAN/DHCP. They must be within the ranges above but do not need to cover the whole range. So you could use, for example, IP Pool Start: 10.0.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1) and IP Pool End: 10.0.0.240 (or 192.168.1.240). This does not affect what addresses that you can use, only the addresses that DHCP will use.

Now you can set your Address Reservation static addresses to be between 10.0.0.241 and 10.0.0.254 (or 192.168.1.241 and 192.168.1.254) and DHCP will not even attempt to overwrite them. I have used the end of the ranges, but it is equally valid to use the start of the ranges, or even the middle, so your pool range could be x.x.x.20 to x.x.x.240.

I hope that this is of some help, and many thanks for your manual.

Kilkenny

The lack of a disclamier, instruction guide or help system provided by Telstra that would stipulates things like this really makes my blood boil.
While I really appreciate the effort youve put towards creating this instruction manual, I find it quite tragic that a consumer has found it necessary to do this.
I like many have spent weeks trying to figure out how why the phone doesnt work in bridged mode. Had their been an instruction manual provided by Telstra, I'd not have wasted so many frustrating hours.
So what is the WAN as LAN setting for? If I am piggy backing the Sagemcom wifi router off my primary router, will it allow the devices attached to the Sagemcom router to be seen on the rest of my network?
cf4

WAN port as LAN port coverts the WAN port to an extra LAN port so that you have three LAN ports instead of two.

If you want devices attached to Sagemcom Gateway to see rest of your network and devices on your network to see devices connected to Sagemcom Gateway the Sagemcom Gateway has to be set up as a access point.

Change iSagemcom's IP address to be within address range of primary router but different from IP address of . Primary router. Pick IP address that is unlikely to be used. For example is Primary router has a IP address of 192.168.1.1 and a IP address range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 use 192,168.1.100. Reserve this address in primary router.
Advanced > Gateway Settings > DHCP

Reconnect to Sagemcom and turn of DHCP off. Note once this is done devices will not be able to connect to Sagemcom until next step is completed.

Connect LAN port of primary router to LAN port of Sagemcom.

NBN---------Primary Router (LAN Port)----------- (LAN Port) Sagemcom

I am not sure if phone will still work using this configuration, I suspect it will no longer work.

ScotteeBks

Thankyou, cf4, appreciate all your hard work.

This answers the question I had (like everyone else) about missing doco, and will also answer how to access the unit to custom-configure. I've had to completely change the home network (servers etc; working from home), and I'm sure answers will fly off your pages shortly!

Cheers, thanks again

makin-it-work

Thanks for your work on the manual. Had figured most of it out by the time I found it but helped consolidate some of the weird things happening.

Question - I only use one LAN port to connect to a gigabit smart switch. If I turn on the WAN as LAN port option, will the WAN act as a gigabit LAN?

cf4

Yes
mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director

Thank you for doing that C4, I could not believe there was no manual even on the Sagecom webpages!
I have yet to experience the joys of setting this up.
Currently using a Telstra T Gateway TG797nv3. It was supposed to be NBN ready, now though it looks like I'll be getting VDSL2 from ADSL. I understand the current modem doesn't do VDSL2.

By any chance has someone lived dangerously and done a factory reset on this Sagecom? That is wiped all Telstra's stuff? Also any problems with bridging it?

megabuff

Hi CF4, awsome job.
with the "Third Party VDSL Modem /Router" Can you do the same thing using the /Sagemcon-F-st-5355 as the main modem and another /Sagemcon-F-st-5355 piggy backed off it.

I would like to have a multiple LAN outlets in my study and also wifi repeater.

cf4

If you tried you will probably loose the phone from both gateways.

I tried it with a Telstra Gateway Frontier as main modem and a F@st5355's WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on the Telstra Gateway Frontier. The phone green light turned off on the Telstra Gateway Frontier and never turned on on the F@st5355.

Even when F@st5355 was disconnected phone light did not come back on. Had to reboot Telstra Gateway Frontier and wait about 30 minutes for phone light to come back on.

If you want to use F@st5355 as a WiFi repeater.

• Too increase number of LAN ports, on the second F@st5355 change the WAN port to a LAN port. Can also change WAN to LAN on Main F@st5355 if DSL link.
    Advanced > Gateway Settings > Port Mode
  • On both Gateways turn off WiFi auto channel selection and make sure that there is at least 3 channels separating the WiFi channel selected between two gateways.
  • For best results use same WiFi SSID and password on both Gateways.
  • Change IP address of second F@st5355 so that it is different to the the Main F@st5355 (example 10.0.0.139)
  • Turn off DHCP in second F@st5355
  • Connect LAN or the WAN port of second F@st5355 to a LAN port on Main F@st5355
megabuff

thanks Champ Smiley Happy
but if im going to loose my phone then its no good Smiley Sad

can you please explain to a laymen why you cant go from the LAN of the master, into the Ethernet point of the Slave?
cf4

If you set up as I suggested you want loose the phone on the Main Modem.

You can not connect a LAN port on the Main gateway to the LAN port on the second gateway without first changing the IP address and turning of DHCP on the second gateway
If you left DHCP on on the second gateway then devices connected to second gateway might receive the same LAN IP address as devices connected to main gateway. If devices have the same IP address data meant for one devices will end up being .transmitted to the other devices. Devices connected to the second gateway will also end up with the wrong DNS IP address and Gateway IP address setup in there network adapters.
If you don't change the IP address of the second gateway you will have trouble trying to access the GUI of both gateway's

There are a couple of reasons you can't connect LAN in Master to WAN in the second Gateway.
One is you loose the phone I don't know the reason why this happens.
Devices on second gateway will have internet access but because there are two NAT (Network Address Translation) device and apps connected to the second Gateway that require UPNP (universal plug and play) or port forwarding will not work properly.
Three because of the two NAT you will not be able to share printers and files between devices that aren't connected to the same gateway.

The reason for changing WiFi channels is to prevent interference.
You don't have to change WiFi SSID and password but if you have same SSID and password devices will automatically connect to Gateway with the strongest WiFi signal

megabuff

thanks again, so loose your phone and your wifi.  i will pass.

I assume its the 2nd modem that's the issue

But a router with wifi could be connected no problem right?   

Bec10

I don’t suppose you know if there is any way of applying the parental controls to one of the guest networks?
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Parental controls are an all or nothing sort of configuration. There is no way to specify that the parental controls only apply to one of the Wi-Fi networks. You can however set rules for specific devices. 

ausgumbie

Hi all

Bit of a rejoinder - question about looking up the F@st online control panel to see what machines are accessing your network.

A current bugbear with me is scam phone calls - we get heaps. Up to 3 a week - usually more. We deal with them by (a) letting all incoming calls go through to an answering machine, and (b) checking the number against various reverse-lookup sites.

I've recently got a 13-digit number - considered by the reverse lookup sites as an invalid number. However, a bit of reading suggested an Indian origin, and a bit more reading brought up this article: from the Times of India online: "No, your mobile number will not have 13 digits". (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/no-your-mobile-numbers-will-not-have-13-...). It is one of many such articles that can be googled – apparently India's government is as slack as ours and made an announcement that convinced Indians they were going to suddenly get 13-digit mobile numbers in July this year. They're not. Only their M2M (Machine to Machine) numbers will be 13 digits long.

And so to what concerns me! The thought that this is a M2M – Machine to Machine number already in use – by whomever. If I see a 13-digit number on my VoIP phone caller ID now, how do I interpret that? Has a machine in this brave new 'Internet of Things' been talking to my – what?

So, where might I look in the F@st online control panel to check if another machine has managed to connect itself to my network?

Strictly, of course, this is about how to use the online control panel rather than the manual, but I thought I'd put the question here first and see from there.

Many thanks

ausgumbie

Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ausgumbie, 

I’ve passed this conversation on to our tech team who work between the hours of Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. I’m confident they will be able to help. Thank you for your patience.

ausgumbie

Thank you Iain_T.

ausgumbie

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more