Level 2: Rookie

security Thomson Gateway

Answered

couple of questions: Background: Home quasi small Office functionality. 

1. my backup storage connected via ethernet to Gateway is 'suddenly' disabled, blinking yellow indicator, researching shows my storage requires higher level of Router security than WPA2 Personal. Part of the solution process requires updating MyGateway security. Have Restarted Gateway through the Gateway Settings UI. (in the hope that an update may be triggered). nuuh. My current installed firmware is 8a.58.129.5. Is this the most secure/current please? if not, how to 'force firmware update'? N.B. local WiFi network keeps dropping out, and overnight back up doesn't run as connection lost. [my set up had worked very well for long time!]

2. noticed MyGateway UI shows DHCP Reserved Leases for no longer connected or authorised devices. Unable to delete any of the no longer reserved DHCP leases, was able to switch off... but not delete. How to delete please? better Q is how to reset Reserve Leases and start from scratch, with much less reservations.

Also DHCP Reserved Leases are not the same as listed under DHCP Lease tab. Why the difference? How to delete?

3. FYI: Ports Mode::  Bridge is Off and WAN as LAN Enabled 

I would appreciate any advice please (QLD) ...need KISS as aged bloke.

non techie
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: security Thomson Gateway

The Thompson Gateway modems are very old and I don't think that there has been a firmware update for a few years now.

Which model is it? There were a few of them TG782T, TG799VAC were two of them.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

cf4
Accepted Solution

Sounds like you have the Sagecom F@st5355 gateway as this gateway has firmware 8a.58.129.5 and also has a setting for enabling WAN port as a LAN port. Firmware 8a.58.129.5 / SG7E10001332 is latest firmware (September 2018). This modem is no longer supported.

The gateway does have WPA2 WiFi security but does not have Protected Management Frames. Suggest you update your gateway to a Telstra Smart modem which cost $216 mew from Telstra but can be purchased second hand for about $50. If you contact Telstra support you might even be able to get a Telstra Smart modem free. They have better Wi-Fi plus 4G backup.

Suggest you factory reset gateway to remove reservations. There is a reset button just below the power button. Press using a bent paper clip or similar device for at least 10 seconds while power is turned on. Gateway should reboot and set all settings to factory defaults. See section 12 of document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Sagemcon-F-st-5355-Manual/m-p/643374

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The Thompson Gateway modems are very old and I don't think that there has been a firmware update for a few years now.

Which model is it? There were a few of them TG782T, TG799VAC were two of them.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

cf4
Accepted Solution

Sounds like you have the Sagecom F@st5355 gateway as this gateway has firmware 8a.58.129.5 and also has a setting for enabling WAN port as a LAN port. Firmware 8a.58.129.5 / SG7E10001332 is latest firmware (September 2018). This modem is no longer supported.

The gateway does have WPA2 WiFi security but does not have Protected Management Frames. Suggest you update your gateway to a Telstra Smart modem which cost $216 mew from Telstra but can be purchased second hand for about $50. If you contact Telstra support you might even be able to get a Telstra Smart modem free. They have better Wi-Fi plus 4G backup.

Suggest you factory reset gateway to remove reservations. There is a reset button just below the power button. Press using a bent paper clip or similar device for at least 10 seconds while power is turned on. Gateway should reboot and set all settings to factory defaults. See section 12 of document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Sagemcon-F-st-5355-Manual/m-p/643374

Level 2: Rookie

thanks - that's helpful; have always thought it was a Thomson, but climbed into he cupboard and yep its a Sagecom as you describe... will do factory reset, and contact Telstra Support 

non techie

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more