Level 2: Rookie

Setting to Connect Telstra fast5355 router as wifi extender for Telstra Gen 2

Answered

Hi Brainstrust,

I just received a new Telstra Gen 2 router and after changing the settings so I could see the dual bands.  There is little  to no signal on the 2.4. I can be sitting next to it and it doesn’t even show 1 bar.   I have a number of smart devices that use this.  I’m wanting to connect my old modem which was running the  2.4 well to use as an extender for the new modem.  Is this possible?  Is anyone able to help with step by step instructions on the settings I need to change?   Does it matter if the two routers are sitting beside each other as I’m not wanting to run a long cable anywhere.  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Setting to Connect Telstra fast5355 router as wifi extender for Telstra Gen 2

Do you have the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem (DJA0231)? The 2.4 GHz WiFi going faulty and not transmitting is a common fault on this modem.

You can use thr two modems sitting close together. Suggest you turn of the 5GHz WiFi in the F@st5355 to stop any interference.

To use F@st5355 as access point.

1. Log into F@st5355  go to Advanced > Internet, remove tick next to IPv6 and save settings.

2. Go to Advanced >  Gateway settings > DHCP 

Change IP address to 192.168.0.xx where xx is a number between 2 and 254. Example 192.168.0.100.

(See section 27 of document linked in this post for how to change LAN IP address of modem).

Turn DHCP off.

Save settings.

3 Connent LAN port of Smart modem to LAN port of F@st5355.

For best results should change WiFi SSID and password so that both modem's have the same SSID and password.

Link light. Online light and phone light will be off on F@st5355.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

Re: Setting to Connect Telstra fast5355 router as wifi extender for Telstra Gen 2

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I have the Arcadyan LH1000 modem.  I’ve been following some posts that say there is a firmware issue.  I

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Do you have the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem (DJA0231)? The 2.4 GHz WiFi going faulty and not transmitting is a common fault on this modem.

You can use thr two modems sitting close together. Suggest you turn of the 5GHz WiFi in the F@st5355 to stop any interference.

To use F@st5355 as access point.

1. Log into F@st5355  go to Advanced > Internet, remove tick next to IPv6 and save settings.

2. Go to Advanced >  Gateway settings > DHCP 

Change IP address to 192.168.0.xx where xx is a number between 2 and 254. Example 192.168.0.100.

(See section 27 of document linked in this post for how to change LAN IP address of modem).

Turn DHCP off.

Save settings.

3 Connent LAN port of Smart modem to LAN port of F@st5355.

For best results should change WiFi SSID and password so that both modem's have the same SSID and password.

Link light. Online light and phone light will be off on F@st5355.

Accepted Solution

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I have the Arcadyan LH1000 modem.  I’ve been following some posts that say there is a firmware issue.  I

The firmware problem with the firmware only effects ADSL connections and should not prevent connecting the F@st5355 to it as an access. There have been a few cases where the 2.4 GHz WiFi has started transmitting at a very low level but I don't think that is a firmware issue and compared to the Technicolor modem it has only effected a small number of modems.

Thank you so much.  It now works great and my smart devices connected straight away.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more