ScottyJ11
Level 2: Rookie

Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

I have Telstra FTTN NBN at home and have invested in a 3 node Google Nest Wifi to improve wireless coverage over a large house and yard.

 

I have a few devices (NAS, desktop and AV equipment) on a wired network connected to the Telstra modem (currently using DJA0230). I have tried putting this hardware into bridge mode so that the whole network comes from the Google Nest, but putting it into bridge mode kills internet connection. I would like all wired and wireless devices to be on the same (Google WiFi) network.

 

I also have an older Saegcom F@st 5355 sitting in the office.

 

Can I achieve what I am trying to do with either of these hardware solutions? If not, does Telstra provide an alternative modem only?

Was this helpful?

  • Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

You should be able to put either of those two modem's into Bridge mode and connect the Google Nest primary unit to a LAN port on the Telstra modem. Make sure Telstra modem's WiFi is turned off before bridging and nothing is connected except the primary google nest is connected to Telstra modem's LAN port. If WiFi is left on a WiFi device could grab the only available IPv4 address.

 

If you need a phone service could connect other Telstra modem  to an ethernet port on a google nest.

ScottyJ11
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

"nothing is connected except the primary google nest is connected to Telstra modem's LAN port"

 

The Google Nest primary unit is in another room, connected via Ethernet to a gigabit router. There are a few network devices that if like to connect to the Telstra router in the office. Will this be a problem?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

Only the primary google nest can be connected directly to the Telstra modem when it is in bridge  mode and acting as the a VDSL modem.

ScottyJ11
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

Maybe that's why it didn't work for me previously?

ScottyJ11
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem


@cf4 wrote:

Only the primary google nest can be connected directly to the Telstra modem when it is in bridge  mode and acting as the a VDSL modem.


Seems to have worked after disconnecting other devices from the modem. Will I be able to connect other network devices after the initial setup?

ScottyJ11
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem


@cf4 wrote:

You should be able to put either of those two modem's into Bridge mode and connect the Google Nest primary unit to a LAN port on the Telstra modem. Make sure Telstra modem's WiFi is turned off before bridging and nothing is connected except the primary google nest is connected to Telstra modem's LAN port. If WiFi is left on a WiFi device could grab the only available IPv4 address.

 

If you need a phone service could connect other Telstra modem  to an ethernet port on a google nest.


Couple not questions:

1- should the Telstra modem that has been set in Bridge mode have IPv6 enabled or disabled?

2- can I use the older F@ST 5355 connected to the Google Nest Router as a switch for other network devices (desktop, NAS, printer, AV equipment)?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

I recommend you disable IPv6 before using modem in Bridge mode.

You can use F@st5355 as a switch connected to a Ethernet port on the google nest router. You are better of using the DJA0230 as a switch as it has more LAN ports.

ScottyJ11
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem


@cf4 wrote:

I recommend you disable IPv6 before using modem in Bridge mode.

You can use F@st5355 as a switch connected to a Ethernet port on the google nest router. You are better of using the DJA0230 as a switch as it has more LAN ports.


Do I have to change settings in the DJA0230 configuration to use it as a switch?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Setting up Google Nest Wifi with a Telstra modem

Yes you will need to change some settings in the DJA0230. You can either set the modem up as a

  1. Access point as per section 34 of document linked in this post but with WiFi off. This has the advantage that you still have access to modems GUI and devices attached to USB port.
  2. Bridge the modem. This has the advantage that you have an extra ethernet port as the modem is connected to google nest via its WAN port and is easier to set up. The disadvantage is you can no longer use USB port or have access to settings in the GUI.I have not tried using the modem as a switch in Bridge mode but others have.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more