Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Setting up home network with 2 Telstra Smart Modems (Gen 2)

Answered

Hi,

My NBN box is inside the house and I am looking to get a good connection out in the granny flat. I have 2 Telstra Smart Modems (Gen 2) and initially had one attached to the NBN box in the house (let's call it modem A) and an ethernet cable that runs out to the granny flat to modem B.

It was working fine, but then my network seemed to fall apart. I think it was because they were both trying to be the primary modem. I have swapped modem B for the old Apple Airport Extreme, however this does not have as good of a range as the Smart Modem and it is also limited in its bandwidth (to 100mbps, where the Smart Modem is gigabit I think).

Can you please advise the best way to set this up so it creates a second network in the granny flat that won't break? Should I set it up in bridge mode?

Thanks,

Dean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Setting up home network with 2 Telstra Smart Modems (Gen 2)

If you have the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231 as access point (Modem B) set up as per section 34 of document linked in this post
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

If you have the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000 as access point (Modem B)set up as per section 33 of document linked in this post
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you have the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231 as access point (Modem B) set up as per section 34 of document linked in this post
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

If you have the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000 as access point (Modem B)set up as per section 33 of document linked in this post
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks cf4.

I have only just today had the chance to set it all up following your instructions and the same problem seems to have surfaced. When I did it, somehow Modem B  was given the name of Modem A, and in the house, Modem A was not found and it was like it didn't exist. 

Modem B had intermittent connection. Sometimes it would work, but sometimes my phone/laptop connected to the wifi, but it did not have an internet connection. 

In order to correct everything, I had to factory reset Modem A, unplug Modem B and plug the Apple Airport Extreme back in

Highlighted

Do you have the Arcadyan or Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem?

It important that

IPv6 is turned off in Modem B

IP address of modem B changed so that it is not the same as modem A. Example change to 192.168.0.2

DHCP server is turned off in modem B

If using Arcadyan modem as modem B Firewall is turned off.

LAN port of modem A is connected to LAN port of modem B.

Highlighted

Modem A is the Arcadyan and Modem B is Technicolor.

I will try it all again tomorrow taking extra care to ensure everything as you've mentioned above.

Thanks again for your help.

Highlighted

Thanks. It appears to be working perfectly.

I just want to check to confirm, now both Modem A and Modem B (the Telstra Smart Modems) have the same name and password? 

Can I now plug the Apple Airport Extreme into Modem B? I think this will then create another network, is that correct?

Highlighted

Yes you can plug the Apple Airport Extreme into a LAN port on modem B and it should create another network.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more