Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Setup Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

Answered

I have fixed wireless NBN connected at a remote building and a wireless bridge to the house, this has a non Telstra router at the remote building. I have setup the Telstra modem at the house working as a wireless hotspot, with DHCP server switched off, as the unit at the remote building is doing the DHCP.

I want the VOIP Phone to work from the telstra modem at the house but cant find anywhere to specify the gateway address (router in the remote building) in the Telstra modem, which has a static IP, I assume it will need to be able to contact the VOIP server to allow this to work.

Gavin Hill
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Setup Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

You can't use the Telstra as an access point with the DHCP server turned off and also use the modem's built in VOIP function. The VOIP function only works if the WAN port of the modem is connected to the internet. The VOIP function will not work if modem is connected to main modem via one of its LAN ports. The WAN port has to be connected to main router via the wireless Bridge for the VOIP service to work. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you use the WAN port of the Telstra modem you should still be able to connect to any device connected to the main route but you want be able to connect to devices connected to the Telstra modem's LAN side from devices connected directly to the main router. You will need to enter the device connected to main routers IP address to connect to them from LAN side of te Telstra router.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You can't use the Telstra as an access point with the DHCP server turned off and also use the modem's built in VOIP function. The VOIP function only works if the WAN port of the modem is connected to the internet. The VOIP function will not work if modem is connected to main modem via one of its LAN ports. The WAN port has to be connected to main router via the wireless Bridge for the VOIP service to work. 

Highlighted

Thanks excellent reply, I don't want to connect wan port on Telstra modem to main router as there are other devices, cameras, on the wireless bridge network, and I don't think I will be able to connect to them through the Telstra modem if I connect Wan port to that part of the network

Gavin Hill
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you use the WAN port of the Telstra modem you should still be able to connect to any device connected to the main route but you want be able to connect to devices connected to the Telstra modem's LAN side from devices connected directly to the main router. You will need to enter the device connected to main routers IP address to connect to them from LAN side of te Telstra router.

Highlighted

That solves everything, I will try that thanks cf4 you know your **bleep**!!

Gavin Hill

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more