Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

SIM Backup for Telstra Modem

Answered

I have a Telstra Arcadyan LH1000 Modem but the Mobile backup does not work when the NBN drops out (even when the drop out is 30 minutes). The modem has been rebooted (both hard and soft), the Sim has been reseated and contacts cleaned. When I look at the LTE tab in the modem webpage it tells me that the Device Status is Ready, the SIM is Valid, Voice Status is Dormant, but Network Status is NotPresent. Radio Quality is OK -106dB. With a Red light on the modem to say that the Sim is connected.Does anyone have any ideas what the issue is here? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: SIM Backup for Telstra Modem

After spending nearly 4 hours on Telstra chat I finally got this resolved. I have no idea what they did. But now the status on my LTE Tab Network Status is "Dormant" as it should be. And the Modem now switches over to the Mobile Sim about 2 minutes after you pull out the NBN cable.

Thanks all for your assistance. Can only recommend cF4's Doco for a great starting point for troubleshooting. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Do you get 4G reception at your place? The Red light indicates a weak signal (-106dB is in the 2 bar range on most phones).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Yes we do.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is the SIM configured as shown in the last image on section 25 of document attached to this post?

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH1000-unofficial/m-p/848734
Highlighted

Yesit is

Highlighted

Highlighted

Everything looks okay except for network not present. The modem's 4G backup might be disabled by Telstra or it might be a faulty modem.

What is the firmware version of the modem (Go to Advanced > Info Summary) Current version is 0.11.11r.

Highlighted

Thanks, that's what I thought. Modem version is 0.11.11r.

Any ideas where to from here?

Highlighted

You will have to contact Telstra support. EvenIEven before Covid-19 it was a hard task to  convince Telstra support that 4G backup was faulty let alone fix the problem. If you have a tablet or smart phone use the messaging function in the get help section of the My Telstra App to contact support.

Highlighted

Thanks for your help, that's where I've been at for the last hour or so. They seem to just want to check the line! Very hard to get them to understand the issue. BTW could I put another Telstra sim from a phone into the modem to see if that would work?

Highlighted

You can use a Telstra mobile data SIM. I have never tried an mobile phone SIM. The APN and PDP type has to be changed as per my document.

I just checked to see if the problem might be low signal by surrounding my modem with a metal tin. Lowered signal to -110dm. Network status was still dormant. So problem is not due to poor 4G coverage.

Highlighted

Yep, we have phones which are also connecting fine with 4G. 

It seems odd that it has the phone as dormant but not the data. 

will see if i can find a telstra Data sim that I can put a few dollars on to test.

BTW your Doco is pretty good.

Highlighted

Now, for some reason, the person on Telstra Chat has "shaped" my "premium" service back down to "standard" bandwidth. Not happy Telstra.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

After spending nearly 4 hours on Telstra chat I finally got this resolved. I have no idea what they did. But now the status on my LTE Tab Network Status is "Dormant" as it should be. And the Modem now switches over to the Mobile Sim about 2 minutes after you pull out the NBN cable.

Thanks all for your assistance. Can only recommend cF4's Doco for a great starting point for troubleshooting. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more