Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sim Card in modem

Answered

I have recently installed a new Gen2 Modem (Arcadyan) on my internet service.  Firmware updated automatically OK.   Presently configured to run with ADSL as NBN due in about a month.  All systems functioning normally, except the mobile back up is not showing any connection on the back of the unit.

Does this SIM card need to be activated?  And how do I get the back up connection to work?  Does it only work with the NBN connected?  Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Sim Card in modem

4G backup should work on all connection types including ADSL. The Wireless Signal light should be either green, orange or red unless there is no Telstra 4G at your location. If the light is of try re inserting the SIM card which is located on the back of the modem near the WAN port. The metal contacts of SIM card should face the WAN port and the cut of edge should be inserted first. If still no signal light try factory resetting modem by pressing reset button on back of modem near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds. Modem should reboot resetting all settings to factory defaults. You might have to re-enter your bigpond username and password in the Modem's Broadband PPP settings for internet to work. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi cf4,

Many thanks for the info on the settings for the SIM card.  It has been activated OK, but is not recognised by the Modem on start up.

As the modem has now stopped working on the 5GHz wifi, I have come to the conclusion that apart from the useless Mobile backup, the Modem is a lemon.

Despite doing a complete reset and checking all wifi settings twice, it refuses to transmit 5GHz wifi.  I have three devices capable of receiving wifi in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, none of them is picking up the 5GHz signal.

Trying to get a replacement unit is presently frustrating - the unit has only been in service 6 days!

Looks like another ISP is on the cards!!

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I am compelled to say that, as of Sunday 21st June, this matter has NOT been resolved.  It should not be listed as "änswered" !

After following excellent advice from cf4, and extensive checking, the modem has been proven to be faulty.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

4G backup should work on all connection types including ADSL. The Wireless Signal light should be either green, orange or red unless there is no Telstra 4G at your location. If the light is of try re inserting the SIM card which is located on the back of the modem near the WAN port. The metal contacts of SIM card should face the WAN port and the cut of edge should be inserted first. If still no signal light try factory resetting modem by pressing reset button on back of modem near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds. Modem should reboot resetting all settings to factory defaults. You might have to re-enter your bigpond username and password in the Modem's Broadband PPP settings for internet to work. 

Highlighted

Hi cf4,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I have now reset the modem using the paper clip on the reset button.  However, once the modem restarts, all the login settings including my user name and password have been retained. It does not need any action from me and my laptop connects via wifi straight away!

The modem was only delivered last Friday June 12th, so I can only assume that the problem with bad sim cards has been resolved by now!

Have removed and reinstalled the sim card as well and still there is no sign of any connection for my mobile back up.  I live only 300 metres from a Telstra tower and have good reception on my 4G mobile phone.

Highlighted

The Wireless mode light on the modem is normally off, but the Wireless signal light should be on.

If you log into the modem and go to Advanced > Internet > LTE does status show as ready and SIM card status as valid? Should be same as in first image in section 25 of document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

Highlighted

Hi again cf4,

The LTE status shows that the sim card is not recognised.

And, there is no "wireless" signal light, only mobile mode and mobile signal indicators which are not alight.

Looks to me as though the sim card is NBG.

I still don't understand why when I reset the modem, it was not necessary to reenter the login details.

Highlighted

It looks like the modem is faulty. You sure the reset was successful. The light on the front of the modem should of gone off, turned white and then for a breif period flashed with different colours.

Highlighted

The front light went out completely for around 30 seconds then started with a white light then went through a series of colours then settled down to green.  All other connections working OK.

Unless there is something else, my reset procedure should have worked.

BTW, your manual has been very helpful and I've saved it to my PC for reference.

Highlighted

Looks like like modem was reset. Suggest you contact Telstra and ask for a replacement modem because the 4G backup on your modem is faulty. The best way to contact Telstra is to use the messaging function on the help section of the my Telstra app.

Highlighted

Hi cf4,

After many attempts to get through on my Telstra app, I gave up and finally got through to Telstra support in (India)!  The tech noted the problem and ordered a replacement SIM to be sent to my home address (holding my breath on that!).

I have considered trying a pre-paid Telstra SIM, activating it with my Telstra 4G dongle and then trying it in the modem - just to test if it is recognised by the modem.  Not concerned about using up all the available data, if it proves the point about the system! 

Highlighted

A Telstra prepaid SIM should work, just change APN to telstra.internet and PDP to IPv4v6. 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi cf4,

Many thanks for the info on the settings for the SIM card.  It has been activated OK, but is not recognised by the Modem on start up.

As the modem has now stopped working on the 5GHz wifi, I have come to the conclusion that apart from the useless Mobile backup, the Modem is a lemon.

Despite doing a complete reset and checking all wifi settings twice, it refuses to transmit 5GHz wifi.  I have three devices capable of receiving wifi in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, none of them is picking up the 5GHz signal.

Trying to get a replacement unit is presently frustrating - the unit has only been in service 6 days!

Looks like another ISP is on the cards!!

Highlighted

Greetings cf4,

Finally received replacement SIM card today (Friday) - see Tuesday above..

Apart from the card being too small to fit the slot - I was able to use the plastic surround from an old full-size card.  Installed the replacement card and used a full factory reset TWICE just to make sure the boot process would recognise the SIM on booting.  Regret to advise that the LTE mobile service is still not being activated and this would confirm that the modem is a lemon.

With regard to the problem I was having with the 5GHz wifi output, this was rectified by turning off the band steering in the wifi setup - something which I had overlooked with all the many reboots and resets!!.  

So, now the unit is up and running without any mobile backup capability.

I now have to go through the difficult process of getting a replacement from Telstra!!

Where do I start??

Highlighted

I did not think it was the SIM card. Even with no SIM card installed the Manufacture ID would not be Google, the Device IMEI, Firmware Version and Parameters Version would not have been blank. No that you have proved its not the SIM card Telstra should replace the modem.

LTEStatus.jpg

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I am compelled to say that, as of Sunday 21st June, this matter has NOT been resolved.  It should not be listed as "änswered" !

After following excellent advice from cf4, and extensive checking, the modem has been proven to be faulty.

Highlighted

Following on from my post of Sunday 21st June, this matter has not been resolved and should not be listed as an "accepted solution".

The only "acceptable solution" is for a replacement Arcadyan modem sent from Telstra!!

@Vitara wrote:

Highlighted

If Telstra will not replace the modem raise a complaint. You can raise a complaint at the link below.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Did this get sorted?

Mine was doing the same thing. Did not recognise card. I had everything plugged in, and sitting here for days waiting for the nbn box to connect. I pulled out the red lead from modem, restarted modem, and the backup started working. Currently getting around 20mps on backup. I still have nbn box connected to wall waiting for lights to stop flashing and/or a tech to show up, but at least modem works.   Phone does not seem to be recognised, but hope that will fix itself when nbn box gets sorted.

Highlighted

NOT RESOLVED!

As of today July 6th, the problem has NOT been sorted!!

Have tried all the steps that you have noted many times and all those recommended by cf4.

Have also been in contact using the MyTelstra app which appears to be deliberately enclosed by a series of security blocks to get anyone to respond.

It is possible that my request has been accepted and MAYBE I may get a replacement modem.

Will revert when (and if) this matter is resolved.

I'm curious to know if anybody in Telstra support bothers to read these messages, 

Highlighted

Update on the saga of this inquiry.  Special thanks to cf4 for the excellent advice and guidance along the way!.

As of today Thursday 23 July, I can advise that after nearly six weeks of badgering and persistent use of the MyTelstra messaging app, I have finally received a replacement modem.

It is NOT an Arcadyan LH1000 but a Technicolor DJA0231 Gen 2 and the mobile back up actually works!

Still getting used to the slightly different dashboard menus which are very similar to the old Technicolor TG799vac menus which it replaces.

After installation, it automatically updated its firmware to 18.1.c.0514-950-RB.

Finally, after the debacle of an incorrect SIM card replacement and persistent bypassing of "Codi" I have manged to navigate to a solution.

For others with difficulty in getting a response from Telstra by any other means, I suggest you persevere with the MyTelstra app with patience!!

My next "drama" may be when the NBN comes along due for connection August 18!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more