Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

smart modem 2.4ghz

Just got the nbn on Friday gone, both networks were working until Friday at midnight when the 4g just stopped, it's now not showing up on any devices, ive been talking with their idea of "help" the texting via the app isn't help at all as they get switched between different members of their team and you have to go through the entire history again, is there anyway that this is an easy fix or am i just gonna have to send the "smart modem" back as it is now just a paper weight for 4g devices which i have and go out and buy one that actually works

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: smart modem 2.4ghz

well it seems that the device is not fixable then, id suggest to anyone that's thinking of switching to the telstra NBN to not use the modem that they want to send out, bite the bullet and just buy one that's works from a reputable seller, or just start looking at another net provider that doesn't deal in shoddy gear

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

I think the only way you will be able to fix this problem is with a new modem. One thing you could check is is Protected Management Frames PMF is enabled in the advanced > WiFi settings. This is a new feature added by the latest software update but not supported on all devices. If this is enable disable and save settings. Another thing to check is that security mode is set to WPA2 + WPA-PSK.

There have been quiet a few reports of the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 modem DJA0231 suddenly stopping transmission on the 2.4 GHz WiFi band and the only solution is a replacement modem. Recently there have also been reports of the Arcadyan version LH1000 suddenly transmitting  a very low signal that some devices can't detect.

To prove if the 2.4 WiFi is transmitting you could install a WiFi analyzer on an Android or Windows 10 PC. If there is no peak in the graph with the name of your modems network then the 2,4 GHz is faulty. The image below is the graph from the Matt Hafner WiFi analyzer on a Windows PC.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - sometimes modems do an auto firmware update after midnight and that may have caused the current absence on the 2.4 Ghz band - what is the model number and firmware showing on the home screen when you type 192.168.0.1 into your web browser.

Highlighted

Serial No
CP1949RAMVQ
Firmware Number
18.1.c.0514-950-RB
Highlighted

I suspected that may be the case. That is the new and current status firmware - to see if it makes a difference, first log into the modem and go to Advanced Icon, then to Wi-Fi Page, on the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi screen , Disable 'Protected Management Frames' and SAVE to see if that makes the 2.4 Ghz visible. If not log in again and on the same screen alter the Encryption from WPA2 to WPA/WPA2-PSK and SAVE. Hoping one of these suggestions works. 

Some 2.4Ghz adapters in devices don't take to PMF and not sure if that setting also influences the Encryption association, that's why I thought to change that in case it is related. It is too co-incidental that an upgrade to latest software occurred before the problem arose and suspect a software glitch is causing the lack of visibility. PMF completes the security blanket for modems and works fine with 802.11ac 5Ghz devices and should be left ON for 5Ghz, it's just that some 2.4Ghz adapters can't cope with it. 

Highlighted

nope still nothing, looks like i'm gonna have to fork out around 500 bucks for one that works straight out of the box, at least you've given more suggestions than the so called help that they pay

Highlighted

In case of interest, you may wish to have a look on Gumtree, eBay or Cash Converters for the other Telstra Gen 2 Modem model - Arcadyan LH:1000 - sometimes near new or unused ones go for $50 - $100. That way you will have 4G LTE Back Up if the NBN Network has issues. 

Highlighted

You should not have to pay for a new modem. If the modem's 2.4 GHz is faulty Telstra support should replace the modem free of charge. Not all the Gen 2 modems are faulty you are just unlucky to have received one that was. I had a DJA0231 that went faulty and was replaced. The replacement DJA0231 did not have the same fault.

Highlighted

and wait weeks or months for them to send out a replacement no thanks, if they deliver out faulty goods i think i'll stay clear of their other devices

Highlighted

Curious - when you are logged into the Advanced/Wi-Fi screen, if you Enable the 2.4Ghz Guest Network with default SSID, Guest 1 and SAVE - is it visible to devices along with other local neighbour's Telstra Air 2.4Ghz SSID. 

Highlighted

nah mate still nothing, thanks for the help but i'll just leave it here and get a better one

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more