Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart modem 2 - chromecast ultra Network problem

Hi,

I recently upgraded to the Telstra smart modem gen 2.  Internet with the new router works (wifi) well with iPhones, iPads and laptops.

My Chromecast Ultra worked with the last Telstra modem but will not connect via wifi to the new smart modem, gen 2.  Wifi password is correct, router has been reset, chromecast reset back to factory settings etc.

Error note on screen is “network problem”.  

Help!  Ive relentlessly tried to fix but to no avail.  Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart modem 2 - chromecast ultra Network problem

You could try disabling band steering which will result in -5G being added to the end off the 5GHz WiFi SSID, then connect both the Chromecast and the device setting up the Chromecast to the 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID.

To disable band steering in the modem open a WEB browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1 (Password is Telstra). Go to WiFi settings, remove tick next band steering in the 2.4 GHz settings and save settings.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks CF4; turning off the ‘band steering’ now allows the chromecast to work.  

Cf4; leaving the band steering permanently

off does this effect day to day internet use, streaming , speed?

what does it effect?

thankyou.  

Highlighted

Turning of band steering should not effect day to day internet use. With band steering off dual band devices will have to be configured for both WiFi SSIDs and will not switch automatically between the two bands when they detect that the other WiFi band gives better performance. You will have to manually select the WiFi band. For example if you are on 5G and you move a few rooms away from the modem and loose reception most devices will still automatically switch to the 2.4G band automatically but will not automatically switch back to the 5G WiFi band which gives faster speeds when up close to the modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more