Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

smart modem connection issues

I've been having ongoing dropouts from cable in our area for at least 6 weeks. The dropouts affect Foxtel as well and are happening in most homes in the street. Apparently, it has been escalated to a level 3? technician?? Anyway, due to the constant dropouts, it was suggested we get the hybrid smart modem - it was sent on Friday and I installed Saturday and it has not been able to connect to the internet. However, when the dropouts occur and the modem switches to back up 4g it's totally able to access the internet. Also when I plugged an ethernet cable from the modem to the Foxtel box I am able to peruse online library and order online content. So it seems it is a wifi issue. well, sort of . . . . the Telstra tv will not connect, even by cable. anytime I look at the gateway it says all is ok, I have reset and restarted modem twice and nothing changes. I can access the gateway online so it is active but when opening up a browser and loading other pages NADA- the only thing that comes up is a message saying 'unreachable' or 'unsecure'.  Could someone please help. I have talked endlessly to Telstra by phone and chat and have gotten nowhere. I also begged to be put through to the platinum tech support after an hour or so today which was refused because they think its the outage. AAARRGGH the outages have been constant for 6 weeks but intermittent and because I can access gateway page and foxtel is not disconnected it is not an outage > it is a problem with this new smart modem that was supposed to be more reliable. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: smart modem connection issues

I can plug back in my old modem which was perfectly fine except no back up to mobile broadband in the dropouts and it works fine. But I am now in limbo land with 2 modems . 1 does the cable well and the other does the backup broadband well. There must be some setting that is not correct for the smart modem to keep saying its on but loading pages that are unsecure or unloadable. ??
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you using the modem with a new cable adapter? It could be the cable adapter MAC address has not been registered against your account.

Highlighted

yes, I think that's what one of the last tech guys said on the phone today. Apparently, he said he will register it and fix the MAC address issue but that was about 12 hours ago, and nothing has changed. I have plugged in the old cable modem which works and have kept the new smart modem plugged in as well so now I have 2 modems on. One is working on cable and one is on mobile
Highlighted

If you leave the smart modem on back for an extended period of time the back speed will be throttled to 256 Kbps instead of 6 Mbps. What happens if you connect WAN port of Smart Modem to LAN port on old modem.
Highlighted

i don't know but ill try it out now
Highlighted

yes, I connected it from WAN port to LAN on the old modem and they both work fine. The smart modem is not solely running on back up now. Does that mean the problem is with the cable adapter??
Highlighted

Yes it could be that cable adapter MAC address has not been registered.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more