Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem (DJA0230) weak 2.4GHz WiFi, 5GHz is fine

I've recently swapped out a failing Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st5355) with a Telstra Smart Modem (Technicolor DJA0230).

Whilst swapping over was a piece of cake and everything works on the new router - I've noticed that the 2.4GHz WiFi signal strength is terrible. Even standing right next to the router, I can't get full signal strength (see WiFi analyzer result picture).

At this stage, the 5GHz signal works great and is working at greater distances than the 2.4GHz.

I've gone through the steps of trying turning off band steering, setting different WiFi channels and channel widths (in case of interference), power cycled and reset the modem - but the 2.4 GHz signal is no where near as good as the F@st5355.

Do I just have a bad 2.4GHz radio in this router - or have I missed something? I notice the firmware version is showing as 17.2.0320-820-RA - not sure if it's the latest.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart Modem (DJA0230) weak 2.4GHz WiFi, 5GHz is fine

The modem doesn't have latest firmware (18.1.c.0443-950-RA) but I don't think that is the problem. One thing you could check is the Output power level setting in the modem (Advanced > WiFi > 2.4 GHz SSID)

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

@cf4 wrote:

The modem doesn't have latest firmware (18.1.c.0443-950-RA) but I don't think that is the problem. One thing you could check is the Output power level setting in the modem (Advanced > WiFi > 2.4 GHz SSID)

Yes I forgot to mention I had tried that as well. It's sitting at 100%. I thought I'd try dropping the output power to 50% and 25% to see if that made any difference (in case the higher output was causing its own interference) - and it only dropped the signal strength slightly,

It looks like you have a bad 2.4 GHz radio in the modem. My DJA0230 2.4GHz signal was just as strong as the F@st5335 if not stronger.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more