MTBnut
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart Modem DJA0231 4G/LTE signal strength issues

Answered

Wondering if anyone else has experienced the following:

The last few weeks there has been known Telstra mobile signal strength issues in my immediate area. Outages advises they are working on a fix. I am on FTTN and there has been no problems with the DSL, so I'm always online with a green front LED. The following problem concerns only the Mobile Signal LED. The Mobile Signal on my modem has occasionally gone from Superb to Weak (Green LED to Orange LED) and back again, but one time it went to Weak and didn't return even though the signal strength (RSRP) had improved back to -92dBm when Telstra restores the signal. The Modem Diagnostics page showed -112dBm when the LED was orange, but stayed orange even when the signal came back to around -90dBm even after a couple of days.

So I rebooted the modem and immediately the LED came up green with a signal strength of 'Superb'. I checked the diagnostics again and found not only had the RSRP had improved to -88dBm, but that the modem had switched to a different Cell ID with a better Uplink and Downlink Bandwidth (20MHz). My observations suggest that once the modem locks onto a particular cell, it doesn't switch until the next boot. Also there appears to be some hysteresis in the switching from Green to Orange and back again.

Does anyone know if disabling Mobile in the Mobile page, and then re-enabling it will force the modem to seek another cell if the current signal strength is weak? The only alternative I can see is to reboot the modem. I prefer not to reboot the modem, as this always results in a DSL link dropout and Resynch early the following morning (a bug in the modem firmware I believe).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem DJA0231 4G/LTE signal strength issues

Best way is to try it and see..  I have an LH1000 and don't seem to have an LTE disable option to test it..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Best way is to try it and see..  I have an LH1000 and don't seem to have an LTE disable option to test it..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

MTBnut
Level 3: Gumshoe

I had to wait until the mobile signal LED turned orange again to try this out.  It did yesterday, so I tried your suggestion, and yes this produced a positive result.  Disabling Mobile drops the registration and turns the LED off.  Re-enabling Mobile seems to force the modem to seek the strongest signal tower and lock on to it, turning the LED green again,  This only takes a few seconds with no need to do anything else.

It looks like the current Telstra mobile network issues forced my modem back to a tower with a weaker signal (around -110dBm) and there it stayed with an orange LED until I re-registered the modem, which switched it back to a stronger tower (around -88dBm) with a green LED.

There must be some threshold at which the modem will autonomously seek a stronger tower, but I haven't encountered that yet.

SteveW_52

The mobile signal led on my modem varies from green to orange to red at various times of the day, without switching towers (not too many options where I live), but 4 G backup always works as expected when I test it or need it, regardless of the signal level indication, or the RSRP level shown. Fingers crossed the feature is doing it's job and I don't need to worry about it. Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more