MTBnut
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart Modem DJA0231 Firmware update

Answered

Received firmware update to my Smart Modem early yesterday morning.  Telstra upgraded from 18.1.c.0585-MR71.-RA up to 20.3.c.0329-MR19-RB

One of the bug fixes I was waiting for finally arrived.  For us FTTN users, there was a problem that following any modem reboot, the following morning (at 03:41:50 precisely in my case) the DSL link would drop out for 2 minutes and retrain (or resynch) before reconnecting with a new public IP.  This would only happen once, with the modem being fine until the next reboot.  This appears to be fixed, with the latest firmware update forcing a reboot as normal, but there has been no DSL dropout the following morning.

I've also noted a number of minor fixes concerning DSL diagnostics and Mobile Signal diagnostics.

All the DSL problems I have had in the past might soon be irrelevant, as NBN Co is currently running draw-wires through my street conduits in preparation for pulling fibre for FTTP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem DJA0231 Firmware update

I am about 200 meters from the node but due to the way the cable runs there is about 800 meters of cable as my connection pillar is in the opposit direction to the node.

Originally the cable pair from your house would have connected to the house. When the node was installed a cable would from the node would have been spliced onto this cable. When transfered to NBN cable pair in node would have been connected and the cable going back to exchange would have been been disconnected in exchange or in one off the street pillars but there would have still be a short section off cable connected in parallel. At the high  Frquencies FTTN operate at this short bit of cable can still cause  a bridge tap.

Your DSL bit loading graph looks normal.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4

Glad to hear the firmware update fixed your DSL issue and the NBN is currently upgrading your area to FTTP. The upgrade to FTTP want be automatic. FTTP is only available on application and  and must also select a high speed plan.

I have noticed the firmware update has.

• Removed Telstra Air.
  • Upgraded USB port to SMB2
  • Removed option of disabling main link in GUI (Advanced > Internet).
  • Added the option for selecting a custom LAN port for WOL.
  • WiFi is now more stable. Noticed toggling WiFi Off / On and dropouts on main link no longer cause one of my Android devices to reboot.

It about time the DSL stats were fixed. The errors in the stats have been around for at least 4 years and present in all Technicolor modems since the TG799.

MTBnut

It looks like I may have spoken too soon.  Two days after the firmware reboot, my modem did another DSL Resynch at precisely 3am.  However this time, download shaping seems to have changed.  I'm on a 50Mb plan so the modem always synchs at 60.1Mbps and has for a long time shown shown the maximum line rate (download) at approx 62Mbps.  It is now showing 86Mbps max download rate.  Upload rate synchs at 20.4Mbps and remains unchanged at 28Mbps max upload.

So this may have something to do with what someone else on this forum said that the previous firmware DSL resynch bug was a known problem with upload shaping.  Except in this case, my download stats have changed.  It's been 2 days since the resynch and appears to be be stable.  I should state that my DSL connection is always very stable and very rarely undergoes an unexpected (random) resynch.

As a side issue, I have noticed there is still a bug in the DSL diagnostics.  The Link Retrain Count for the last 15 minutes shows the same value as the for the Prior Day.  2 days after a single resynch, both values are shown as 1.  It appears when they fixed the FEC values bug, they forgot to check Link Retrain Count.

cf4

The drop out was probably caused by change in the characteristics of your line. When the line physical characteristics change by a significant amount the connection will drop and the modem and node will retrain. The change in line characteristics has caused the change in maximum speed.

MTBnut

Thanks for the info.  To my knowledge, no physical work has been done between the node and my modem, so I'm wondering if NBN has allocated more bandwidth to my DSL connection and that has shown as a change in line characteristics.  Any other scenarios you can think of?

cf4

About two years ago my maximum download speed went from about 37 Mbps to 49 Mbps. With no explanation. (No notice of work being done by NBN). On checking the DSL bit loader graph noticed that a area of low bit loading was no longer present. An area of low bit loading indicates a bridge tap. A bridge tap is were another cable pair is connected in parallel to the main cable pair. I assumed the cause was due to NBN disconnected the cable pair going back to the exchange. This would have removed the bridge tap. The time was roughly about the time coexistence ended in my area. 

DSL Link 37 MbpsDSL link 49 MbpsBit Loading Graph 38 Mbps

Bit Loading Graph 49 Mbps (Bridge Tap removed)

MTBnut

Mine currently looks like this:

And the comparable DSL bit loading is this:

There is about 400m of copper between the FTTN node cabinet and my house.  I was under the impression that it was all fibre up to the node, and copper from then on to my modem.  Would there be any copper somewhere between the node and the exchange (or POI) that could have been modified?  My understanding of the architecture upstream of the node is somewhat limited:-)

Thanks again.

cf4
Accepted Solution

I am about 200 meters from the node but due to the way the cable runs there is about 800 meters of cable as my connection pillar is in the opposit direction to the node.

Originally the cable pair from your house would have connected to the house. When the node was installed a cable would from the node would have been spliced onto this cable. When transfered to NBN cable pair in node would have been connected and the cable going back to exchange would have been been disconnected in exchange or in one off the street pillars but there would have still be a short section off cable connected in parallel. At the high  Frquencies FTTN operate at this short bit of cable can still cause  a bridge tap.

Your DSL bit loading graph looks normal.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more