Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem Gen 2 and NBN HFC

Answered

HI 

My first post - my query is I have just switched to NBN HFC and have the choice of a Smart Modem Gen 2 or a F@ST 5356 modem. 

1. Is the Smart modem Gen 2 compatible with HFC NBN ?

2. Which is best to connect the Gen2 or the F@ST 5356 ?

The Gen 2 is my preferred as it has 4 Lan port to connect devices whereas the F@ST 5356 has only 2 and this not enough .

And answers or suggestions appreciated .

Cobra8272

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 and NBN HFC

The Gen 2 modem is better than the F@st5356 and there is no need to install the other modem. The Gen2 is compatible with all types of NBN. You can go back to the Gen 2  modem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - did you mean F@ST 5356 or F@ST 5355 or F@ST 5366?

If you meant to type, F@ST5355, I would recommend the Gen 2 over the F@ST5355. There are two versions of the Gen 2 modems, one made by Arcadyan and the other by Technicolor. The release history of Telstra Modems went from the F@ST5355, Technicolor TG800, DJN2130, DJA 0230(Gen 1.1), DJA0231 (current Gen 2 model) and Arcadyan LH:1000 (gen 2), so a lot of technical enhancements have occurred since the F@ST 5355 was released e.g. stronger signal, more capacity and faster Wi-Fi, all LAN 4 ports 1Gbps, Easy-Mesh Support in the Modem, integral 4G LTE Back Up WAN and integrated CATiq2.0 cordless base station to name a few features. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply - weird, but my new modem definitely says F@ST 5356 WHOLESALE on it !

Only had it arrive Tuesday and installed today with upgrade to HFC NBN - but only has 2 LAN ports and I need minimum 3 .

We have had the TELSTRA SMART MODEM GEN 2 WITH VOICE BACKUP MODEL DJA0231 for over a year on Telstra cable. So If the GEN 2 is better than the F@ST 5356 can i go back to the GEN 2 ? 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The Gen 2 modem is better than the F@st5356 and there is no need to install the other modem. The Gen2 is compatible with all types of NBN. You can go back to the Gen 2  modem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That model must have passed through the wicketkeeper. Given it is branded 'Wholesale' it may be a variant of the original F@ST5355 and has a different model number to distinguish it as the modem supplied to Telstra Retailers like Belong and others.

If so, I would expect it to have a different welcome screen depicting the retailer's logo in place of Telstra. You may have just received an incorrect consignment or Telstra has run out of Gen 2 stock and using whatever is in stock to fulfil requirements. 

Sagemcom provide modems to many carriers and RSPs. Belong once used the F@ST5353, My Republic use the F@ST5366 which is listed on Sagemcom's web site, but it is different the Optus F@ST5366.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more