Mantor0k
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan) - Airplay not working

Answered

I have recently purchased an LG TV and Denon AV Receiver, both of which support Airplay. On my iPhone they both appear as AirPlay devices, however, when I attempt to play a song from my iPhone to one of these devices AirPlay disconnects immediately.

I also have an Apple TV and HomePod and I am able to use AirPlay fine on them.

The devices are connected to the Arcadyan LH1000 (firmware 0.08.06r) modem as follows:

LG TV, Denon AVR & Apple TV are connected via ethernet cable

HomePod & iPhone are connected via WiFi

I have tried turning Band Steering off as I’ve read that this can cause problems but it made no difference in my case.

I’ve also tried connecting the LG TV to an old D-Link router via ethernet. I then connected my iPhone to the D-Link router and AirPlay worked fine. This would indicate there is a problem with the Arcadyan.

Can anyone suggest any other settings on the Arcadyan that may resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan) - Airplay not working

There is a firmware update for the LH1000 (0.09.11r) that might fix the problem. I don’t think there are any settings in the Arcadyan that will fix the problem There are several design flaws in the modem that should be fixed by new firmware but from posts that I have seen and from my own experience the new firmware does not fix the faults in all cases.

If the LG TV supports WiFi one thing you could try is to connecting TV to modem by WiFi. One of the problems is that the modem’s firewall blocking some types of traffic between the wired Ethernet ports and WiFi. If this is the problem you could turn the firewall off temporarily to see if it is the cause of the problem.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Accepted Solution

There is a firmware update for the LH1000 (0.09.11r) that might fix the problem. I don’t think there are any settings in the Arcadyan that will fix the problem There are several design flaws in the modem that should be fixed by new firmware but from posts that I have seen and from my own experience the new firmware does not fix the faults in all cases.

If the LG TV supports WiFi one thing you could try is to connecting TV to modem by WiFi. One of the problems is that the modem’s firewall blocking some types of traffic between the wired Ethernet ports and WiFi. If this is the problem you could turn the firewall off temporarily to see if it is the cause of the problem.

View solution in original post

Mantor0k

Thanks @cf4

I have previously tried connecting the LG TV via WiFi but it made no difference to the AirPlay problem.

I've tried your suggestion of turning off the firewall and it has fixed AirPlay on both the LG TV and Denon AVR. So it appears to be a firewall issue. Weird how it doesn't affect the Apple TV & HomePod though. I've turned the firewall back on to Normal mode. Just wondering if there's a way I can put a custom setting in there to fix this up?

Hopefully the new firmware will resolve it but not sure how long that will take until it's rolled out to my modem.

Mantor0k

UPDATE: I restarted my modem and shortly after that the new firmware was installed.

The good news is that it has fixed the AirPlay issue I mentioned above. Smiley LOL

The other good news is that it has also finally fixed the lack of NAT loopback I encountered back in September: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Dynamic-DNS-and-port-forwarding-not-working-o...

cf4

Glad to hear that both your problems were fixed by the update. I found the update only partially fixed my NAT loop back issue. NAT now works for some devices and not other and on some of the WiFi devices it does work it will only works if the device trying to connect is not on the same WiFi band as the device that hosts the server.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more