Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem Gen 2 connectivity issue

Answered

Recently encountered an issue with devices randomly disconnecting from my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. Now my PlayStation, desktop and laptop cannot find the wifi signal from the modem. Mobile phones have no issue, they can all find it but my computers can't. Desktop has been solved using an ethernet cable, but the laptop and PS4 are still having discovery issues. Internet and modem appear to be working correctly, i just can't find it on certain devices. Tried all the obvious rebooting and trying to manually set up a connection to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 connectivity issue

There have been quite a few reports of the 2.4 GHz WiFi stopping to Transmit on the DJA0231 Gen 2 modem. Model number is on the bottom of the Modem. Some desktops laptops and the PS4 only support the 2,4 GHz WiFi band. Midrange and above phones are dual band. If the 2.4 GHz WiFi on the modem is faulty it could be reason the Desktop, laptop and PS4 are no longer connecting.

One quick way of checking if the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty is to disable band steering in the modem. This adds -5G to the modem's 5 GHz WiFi SSID. If you know only see a modem SSID with -5G on devices that can connect then the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. If you disable band steering and 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working the devices that could connect will lose there connection until connected the SSID with -5G.

To disable band steering open a Web browser on device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings, remove tick next to band steering and save settings.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

There have been quite a few reports of the 2.4 GHz WiFi stopping to Transmit on the DJA0231 Gen 2 modem. Model number is on the bottom of the Modem. Some desktops laptops and the PS4 only support the 2,4 GHz WiFi band. Midrange and above phones are dual band. If the 2.4 GHz WiFi on the modem is faulty it could be reason the Desktop, laptop and PS4 are no longer connecting.

One quick way of checking if the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty is to disable band steering in the modem. This adds -5G to the modem's 5 GHz WiFi SSID. If you know only see a modem SSID with -5G on devices that can connect then the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. If you disable band steering and 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working the devices that could connect will lose there connection until connected the SSID with -5G.

To disable band steering open a Web browser on device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings, remove tick next to band steering and save settings.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Yep, already done that. I noticed in the modem page that all devices were connected to the 5GHz band and none on the 2.4GHz so I disabled the band steering to test both bands. Same deal, I could find just the -5G band on the phones and nothing on the computers and PS4. Checked the computers and turns out that, like the PS4, they're only compatible with the 2.4GHz so I'd say the error is with that frequency. Another case to add to those reports.

Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more