Potwac
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem Gen 2 Ethernet Issue

Hi, We recently installed the Smart Modem Gen 2 as provided by Telstra. (assuming they are trying to migrate all customers to the Dual connection, easing pressure on current assets with wifi.) Installed into existing home network as a direct replacement of the technicolor modem. Smart Modem Gen 2 Lan port 1 to Netgear Prosafe 8 way switch in Man cave to PC, smart TV,s Google home , ect ect all working fine. Smart Modem Gen 2 Lan port 2 runs to Netgear Pro safe 5 way switch, out to Smart TV, Foxtel, Telstra TV Box. My issue is with the Telstra TV Box fails to use Ethernet connection,not even a single blink of the activity LED at either end., It will connect with Wifi. The old Technicolor modem has no such issues. Any tips on why the new modem fails to utilise the switch ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 Ethernet Issue

Do the Smart TV and Foxtel work on the switch that the Telstra TV is connected to?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

The change of modem might have included a change in network details.. so you might need to set up the Telstra TV ethernet connection again or perhaps just a power cycle is required...

Other than that, it could be cable issue so check all those, unplug and re-plug them (do it a few times to clean the contacts a bit), try swapping ports and cables to see if you can identify where the issue is..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Potwac

Foxtel is actually sat, and tv is working on the Ether.  This one just has me stumped, I have tried direct to modem with alternate Cat 6, have tested other patch cables, however no activity shown at modem or switch regardless of which RJ 45 used. So weird.  

cf4

Have you selected the ethernet connection in the Telstra TVs network settings? With my Telstra TV 2 boxes the type of network has to be manually selected. The boxes want automatically connect to a ethernet connection when WiFi has been set up in the network settings.

Potwac

Thanks for the reply,  Yes I have set Ethernet however with no talk over the lan cable detected it simply reverts to Wifi. It’s crazy, Access point connected out in the man cave no issues, so tried the Telstra TV out in the man cave, gigabit lan from access point, bam, same issue.  Time to review entire network, family has grown, devices connected grown along with them, IP Conflicts  could be at the core of the issue, bloody big rabbit hole trying to establish IP,s/device names . Unplug it all and add them back one at a time, hahae. Get the family on board most unlikely.😂

Dowser
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Level 17: Bureau Chief

I would do a factory reset of the Telstra TV box, so it loses all current settings,

Instructions are at

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/telstra-tv/factory-reset-a-telstra-tv-devi...

Then connect the unit via Ethernet directly to the modem, with all other Ethernet ports disconnected.

Restart and select wired connection.

Instructions are at

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/entertainment/telstra-tv/troubleshooting-your-telstra-tv

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more