Anthony_Thai
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart modem Gen 2 Mobile Light Off and Chat team said everything if ok.

Answered

Hi, recently in the last few days, my Telstra smart modem Mobile Signal light is off (whereas it's always orange or red previously). I suspected something wrong with it so I've done the following - 

1. Checked the Smart modem management page and see the message 'No device connected' under the SIM section in Admin view > Mobile.

2. Restarted the modem and the Mobile signal light still off with the same message.

3. Reset the modem with the same thing.

4. Unplugged the NBN WAN port to force the NBN disconnection to see if the mobile backup kicked it, it did not.

Contacted the Chat team via the Telstra app > Message and they told me everything is fine. That's the mobile backup should kick it when there's a real interruption. If it won't, they will check it for me then.

In my opinion, the WAN unplug should simulate the interruption and the mobile backup should kick in. But they insisted that may not be the case.

I don't really want to wait until the real interruption to find out and have no internet connection for probably 1-2 days (1 of the times, it took about 3 days. Luckily the mobile back up worked then).

What can my option be here?

Thanks

Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart modem Gen 2 Mobile Light Off and Chat team said everything if ok.

When the WAN port is the modem should switch to mobile backup within about a three minutes. If it doesn't then modem's mobile backup is faulty. Should not have to wait for an outage. The mobile signal light should also be on even when modem's main link is working. The other indication that the mobile backup is faulty is "No device detected" in the GUI. There is one other thing you could try and that is is to remove and then reinsert the SIM making sure it is inserted with the metal contacts facing the Ethernet ports and the edge with the cut off corner inserted first.

If you can't convince support that modem's 4G  backup is faulty lodge a complaint.

Make a complaint (telstra.com.au)

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter

It sounds like a modem fault. The only other thing you can try is to remove the SIM and reinsert it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4
Accepted Solution

When the WAN port is the modem should switch to mobile backup within about a three minutes. If it doesn't then modem's mobile backup is faulty. Should not have to wait for an outage. The mobile signal light should also be on even when modem's main link is working. The other indication that the mobile backup is faulty is "No device detected" in the GUI. There is one other thing you could try and that is is to remove and then reinsert the SIM making sure it is inserted with the metal contacts facing the Ethernet ports and the edge with the cut off corner inserted first.

If you can't convince support that modem's 4G  backup is faulty lodge a complaint.

Make a complaint (telstra.com.au)

View solution in original post

Anthony_Thai

Thanks, I've just done that, popped the SIM out and inserted it back. Still no light for the Mobile signal and the Advance view > Mobile > Configuration/SIM still show No device connected. I'll just probably make a complaint now as suggested.

Anthony_Thai

Just an update on the issue, and Matthew from the social media chat team have solved this by sending me a new Arcadyan modem. Plugged in and the Mobile Signal light is on (red) as expected.

Thanks guys.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more