Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231Firmware Upgrade Fail?

Hi, I'd appreciate it greatly if anyone can shed any light on the following.

For the last 5 days, on a daily basis, my modem seems to trying to perform a firmware upgrade and failing. All connections fail and the modem exhibits flashing green/red (purple?) lights. Reboot by power cycle and all works for another 24 hours, then it repeats the same behaviour.

Interestingly, when the modem was installed by the technician, it hung with the same behaviour (cycling red/green lights) and after successive reboots it finally worked correctly. He admitted he'd never seen similar behaviour and thought it might have been faulty, but as it worked he left it as is. Any ideas? Details as follows:

Technicolor DJA0231 
Software Version 
18.1.c
Firmware Version
18.1.c.0514-950-RB
Hardware Version
VCNT-A

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231Firmware Upgrade Fail?

Does this happen if you disconnect the NBN service (WAN/DSL) from the modem port and let the modem switch into 4G backup mode (takes a few minutes to do that)..?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you tried factory resetting the modem by pressing reset button for at least 10 seconds while modem is powered on? The reset button is located on back of modem near LAN port 2. The firmware on the modem is not the latest (18.1.c.0443-950-RA) and sometimes a factory reset will allow the modem to update.

Correction latest firmware is 18.1.c.0543-950-RA

If a reboot doesn't fix the issue you might have to contact support and request the firmware update be pushed to the modem.

Not sure, I haven't tried the 4G failover - will give it a go, thanks.

Ah, I was hoping to avoid a factory reset, but I will give that a go and if that isn't helpful will seek a firmware push as you suggest. Thanks. I'll let you know how I go. It's good to know that the firmware isn't updating to latest as I couldn't track down the firmware numbers.

Just to let you know - I contacted support to push an upgrade and it seems like the firmware upgrade process is failing - the modem restart hangs on a flashing green/red front light. They have put a remote watch on the device and are going to contact me with a fix.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more