Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem Gen 2 Wifi dropouts

I have a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 ( Arcadyan LH1000 firmware 0.10.05r ) which constantly drops Wifi connections. I have done all the recommended workarounds.

e.g. I turned off band steering. Disabled IPV6.

I noticed that the wifi range of the Arcadyan is much smaller compared to my previous Telstra Gateway Max which was the Netgear C6300. The new Samrt Modem Gen 2 is in the same spot as the old gateway.

As the wifi on it is so unreliable I have hard wired some of my devices via an external switch. I have noticed that sometimes connectivity to the devices stalls for a few seconds (which shouldn't happen).

With my mobile devices, I have noticed once the wifi fails, I have to turn off the wilfi on my phone, then reconnect and all is fine until the next hit. This is also the same with my laptops when using wifi.

What I have done at the moment is connect my old Telstra Gateway Max up to the new "Smart" modem via ethernet and set it's SSID to a different name. This has brought back wifi stability (just not using Smart Modem Gen 2).

Is my "Smart Modem" faulty or based on previous posts just a dud?

BTW I work for Telstra and as the support agents offshore are now virtually non existent at the moment I don't like my chances ringing up to get something replaced (not to mention the issues with Toll).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 Wifi dropouts

When you turn off the band steering, do you see the Telstra-xxxx and the Tesltra-xxxx-5G wifi networks, or just the 5G one?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I can see both networks when the steering is off. The xxx and the xxx-5G. So it appears both frequencies are functioning.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Hi - can you look at the Event Log to see any TR069 or other command entries that should show these disconnects and if lines before disconnect display entries like Wi-Fi Doctor, Thor Server, Wi-Fi Booster or any Max Number of 2.4 Ghz devices?  There were a few instances of Telstra's AI software logging into modems to monitor and pro-actively manage the Wi-Fi bands.  I am not sure if that was suspended or if it is slowly being rolled out. There has been a lot of TV advertising promoting the Gen 2 modems recently promoting of all things, Bandsteering, which I always recommend to turn OFF.

If you have a Mac laptop you can also measure Signal Strength (RSSI) and Noise parameters for both bands to test efffective coverage distances. Similarly, in Windows it measures RSSI only. Let us know what you discover and we can look into it in more detail on how to measure if applicable.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more