Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem Gen 2 wifi dropouts

Hi guys, I have an issue with a Smart Modem Gen 2 (firmware 18.1c.0543-950-RA) and I have been experiencing terrible performance and wifi dropouts on an NBN 100 service. On day 1, I measured 100+mb so I was very happy, but within 20hrs or less, dropouts began and performance was terrible. Several restarts of PC's, NBN Modem and Gen2 later and I suspected a faulty Gen2 as it `appeared' the port was flapping between NBN service and switching to SIM backup. I replaced the GEN2 with another that I had as for some reason Telstra kept sending them every time I inquired about my NBN cutover date (??).

Like the first, the new one worked on day 1 excellent, however quickly deteriorated again to the point where one Pc measures 5Mb download speeds!

Telstra support is terrible and useless with the new process now to TXT your problem and wait sometimes 24hrs before a response and of course then you have to repeat all details of the issue again as there has been a shift change. And, I pay for Premium Support! That's another story .. 

Back to the Gen2 and I have followed the instruction here - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/smart-modem-gen-2-wifi-dropouts/td-p/796942, but the issue still remains. I believe the NBN service is Ok as my cabled devices are good, so I'm sure the issue is wifi dropout only. I have noticed that the Mobile light is either off or Orange when issues occur but this may be coincidence as the service should of course be on the primary NBN service. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or is a better approach to dump the Gen2 for an ORBI ?

Assistance much appreciated.

Regards,

a

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 wifi dropouts

Hi - you have a new firmware version which I have not seen to date - my test  modem is at 18.1.c 0514-950 RB. Seems whenever new firmware is released, gremlins come out of the woodwork. Are both your modems Technicolor and at the same version or is the second one an Arcadyan on V0.12.09.r ? Is the slow PC connected with Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

Yesterday a forum post had a similar outcome as you in terms of speed but not drop outs; the devices were connected with Wi-Fi - on devices connected to the 5Ghz band external Internet download speed from a speed test was around 100 Mbps but on the 2.4Ghz it was 5 Mbps. Is that what you are experiencing or are drop outs occurring on all devices which may indicate an external network problem with your NBN FTTP or HFC connection? 

The modem swapping over to 4G LTE indicates an issue with the NBN network rather than your Wi-Fi Network. The mobile light OFF and Orange is OK, Orange is signal strength and OFF shows it is not being used.  

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi a,

My Technicolor was upgraded to 18.1.c.0543-950-RA on the 17/9.

I'm also on the NBN-100 plan.

I have not seen the problems that you are having.

I'm getting  around 110/26 to an iPad mini on 5GHz wifi band using OOKLA speed test.

Dave 

111111111^2 = 12345678987654321
Highlighted

Hi - mine upgraded to 18.1.c 0543-950 RA at 3:15 am this morning. There is now a 'Game Optimiser' Icon next to the 'Telstra Air' Icon which is in a Not Enabled state. I am on a 50 Mbps NBN plan  - Ookla speed test on iPhone 6 connection to the 5Ghz Wi-Fi SSID was 54 Mbps down and 18.8 Up with Ping 7 ms and Jitter 3.5 ms.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Suggest you try disabling Protected Management Frames in the modem's Advanced > WiFi settings. This can cause problems with some devices and was added to the modem in a recent firmware update. Your modem would have been delivered with a early firmware version which would update overnight to the latest version. The fact that the modem works okay for the first day suggest the problem is due to a firmware update.

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi a,,

It's a long shot but I'm guessing that you've also been changing the cable between the Smart Modem and the NBN Modem each time you changed the Smart Modem.

Dave

111111111^2 = 12345678987654321

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more