Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem Gen 2

After the Windows 10 updates over the last few days, all three of my PCs at home crash when connecting to Telstra NBN on the Smart Modem by WiFi.  The PCs work fine until I try to connect to WiFi. I thought it was to do with the PC updates and scoured the internet for Windows solution but without success. I then connected a WiFi Extender from TPLink and all the PCs connect to this easily, but slower.

Why do my PCs crash when I try to connect directly by WiFi to the Smart Modem? I tried resetting the modem, NBN box, restarting the PCs, and even clean installing Windows on my PCs, but the problem remains on one PC and occasionally on the others. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2

The latest firmware update to the smart modem enabled Protected Managment Frames (PMF) by default. There is at least one other report of this causing PCs to crash. Suggest you disable PMF for both WiFi bands in the modem's Advanced > WiFi settings.

Thanks a L-O-T, cf4!  It works.

Glad to hear that disabling PMF fixed the PC crashing problem. There are two versions of the generation 2 modem, one made by Arcadyan (LH1000) and the other made by Technicolor (DJA0231 which version do you have. The other reported problem of PC's crashing with PMF enabled was with a Arcadyan modem. Which version of Gen 2 modem did you have? There is a label on the bottom of modem with model no plus model no is also displayed on LHS of modem's login screen.

At least now I know why, I have had 6 different clients in the last 3 weeks with the wifi crashing their system on start up, all had Telstra smart modems, I managed a work around, but now I know the real reason, a screwed update that has cost Telstra customers more money. 

PMF support is a requirement for all new WIFi devices. The firmware update provides PMF to the Telstra smart modems. The firmware update is not faulty but Telstra could have avoidedcausing a lot of problems for its customers if they had adviced them of of PMF support being added  to the modems and how it might causes problems with older WiFi devices.

Level 1: Cadet

Three cheers for @cf4. This has resolved issue I had with connecting a new pc to the Arcadyan model. Have been working via phone hotspot. Thank you!!

Level 1: Cadet

Yep! With a new pc. So glad to find your question and the answer here.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more