Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart Modem Gen1 and Wifi Boosters. How do mesh networks really work?

Hi there.

I have the above Smart Modem and 2 Wifi Boosters.  All seems to work but I want to understand more how the wifi mesh. My questions
1. Once you have connected the two boosters you have two networks. I thought the mesh was going to be a wifi mesh of all three devices.  Once you have two networks does it mean you are either connecting to the booster or modem direct?

2. What is the best way to create a mesh? The setup states you should install the first booster wifi via cable into the modem and the next booster connects to the network.  This always seemed to be a waste to me to have the booster and modem right next to each other.  I have done something a bit different my wifi booster is connected by cable from the modem - through walls into a bedroom on the other side of the house.  So while it appears connected to the modem it is not next to it.  I then have the other booster in the opposite direction to the modem.So booster at the back, modem in the middle and booster at the front.  This gives me a pretty good coverage over 200m2.  It might sound crazy but it works.  Comments please I would like to understand better how mesh networks work.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Smart Modem Gen1 and Wifi Boosters. How do mesh networks really work?

Is your modem the Smart modem Gen 1.1 (DJA0230) and does it have the latest firmware 18.1.c.0443-950-RA? If your modem has is the DJA0231 and has the latest firmware then if boosters are set up correctly they should have the same SSID as the main modem and there should only be one SSID. 

The instructions tell you to connect the booster to the modem by LAN cable only for setting up the booster and then you can move it away from the modem and connect it using a long LAN cable or WiFi. When I set my booster up I didn't use a LAN cable but used WPS. If you want your boosters to have the same SSID as the main modem I suggest you factory reset them and then set them up using WPS.

A mesh is basically a group of WiFi extenders that don't necessarily connect directly to main modem. The closest mesh nodes connect to the modem but ones firther away might connect to a closer node.Some meshes uses a third WiFi network just to connect to each other this gives better performance. The mesh units can also use LAN cable for connecting to the modem or another mesh node. 

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Smart Modem Gen1 and Wifi Boosters. How do mesh networks really work?

Thank you for the info.  Great info.  My modem has the latest firmawire.  I also considering to upgrade to NBN and then will be able to use the DJA0231. But for now I have the DJA0230.  I will try the WPS idea and create one network. If that works it will be great.  I assume then the network will optimise the data load better. Grant  

Not sure why telstra says to use the cable on the first booster?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more