Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart Modem issue

Answered

When connected to the Smart Modem I get no internet.  When I take the yellow coded cable out of it and plug into my pc I get internet but it is very slow, especially wifi. My smart modem is showing a blue light which I am led to believe means it is updating firmware (24 hours +).  I have done the online tests and they say my internet is fine.  Have done a lot of YouTube suggestions with no luck.  Any suggestions on what to do next - would love to talk to an actual person on the phone but with the virus and better way of working servicing customers seem to come across one hurdle after another to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem issue

The blue light on the front of the modem indicates modem is in 4G backup. The modem has switched to 4G backup due to a problem with main link.

What type of NBN do you have? If its FTTN or FTTB connect the modem's DSL port to the phone wall socket. For all other types of NBN connections the modem's WAN port should be connected to the NBN box. If modem is connected correctly then there is either a fault or if this is a new service then the installation might not have been completed by NBN or Telstra. You will need to contact Telstra support. Best way to contact Telstra is to use the messaging function in the get help section of the my telstra app.

View solution in original post

Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

If the blue light is on the front of your modem, it means that it is using the 4G backup and that your NBN connection is not working.

What type of NBN connection do you have?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Accepted Solution

My issue now appears on the way to being resolved.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

Telstra chat service after a lot of testing and questions have identified an intermittent dropped line / low speed issue (no idea what that means) and will be having an nbn tech visit me tomorrow morning to fix.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

The blue light on the front of the modem indicates modem is in 4G backup. The modem has switched to 4G backup due to a problem with main link.

What type of NBN do you have? If its FTTN or FTTB connect the modem's DSL port to the phone wall socket. For all other types of NBN connections the modem's WAN port should be connected to the NBN box. If modem is connected correctly then there is either a fault or if this is a new service then the installation might not have been completed by NBN or Telstra. You will need to contact Telstra support. Best way to contact Telstra is to use the messaging function in the get help section of the my telstra app.

Accepted Solution

If the blue light is on the front of your modem, it means that it is using the 4G backup and that your NBN connection is not working.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Level 21: Augmented

The blue light will probably mean that your modem has switched to 4G backup mode because of a loss of NBN Internet, possibly because you took the yellow WAN cable out of the modem and plugged it directly into your PC?

Have you tried power cycling the Smart Modem and the NBN NTU?

While you have it connected that way (directly from PC to NBN NTU), run a speedtest https://speedtest.telstra.com  and see what results you get. If the service is slow (and shows that way with a direct connection to the NBN NTU), then you internet service is definitely not fine..

If you leave the yellow WAN cable out of the modem, but connect your PC to the modem (preferably by cable), run the same speedtest again and see what the results are - they will be lower than your regular HFC speeds I would guess. If you usually use a Wi-Fi connection to the OC, connect up that way again and do another speed test..

Then connect the yellow WAN cable to the modem again, wait until the modem switched back to Green, normal internet mode  and run the speedtests again with the PC connected by cable and wifi and check the results.

Comparing the results tests will give you a sense of where your problem may be.

Be cautious with youtube problem solving - they don't always cover all the little details you need to troubleshoot these sorts of problems...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

My nbn is not new, had been working fine for 12 months.  I have the type that has a connection in the wall.  It replaced a previous Bigpond Cable set up.  When I tried the messaging on the app I could only find billing / account based messaging, will look again.  Thanks for your help.

Go to the Get Help screen in the app, then click on the Blue icon in the bottom right. If Codi redirects you, type "Speak to a consultant"

@Jupiter wrote:

Wall connection using my old Bigpond cable set up.

Speed test with yellow cable connected directly to pc says all fine.  Did not test with smart modem (red cable to pc as has been set up for past 12 months) as get no internet.  Will set it up as it was and run the diagnostic tools again to see what advice I get, probably should gave done that first.  Thanks

Level 21: Augmented

From the information you have provided, it seems you have an NBN HFC service? With an NBN modem (Arris?) connected to the Smart Modem with a cable to the WAN port?

Not sure what you mean here - 'Did not test with smart modem (red cable to pc as has been set up for past 12 months) as get no internet'  rather than use cable colours, which can be anything, can you advise what 'ports' you have connected i.e. NBN Modem Ethernet Port / UNI-D1 to Smart Modem WAN (which is a red port), PC Ethernet to Smart Modem LAN port Which is a yellow port)..  makes it easier for us that can see the setup, to understand how your system is configured.

Also, Speedtest gives Ping time (millisecs) Download xxx Mbps and Upload xxx MBps results..  how do you figure out that the PC says all fine?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

@SteveW_52 wrote:

how do you figure out that the PC says all fine?

Sorry.  When I had the internet running on my pc I did the diagnostic test on my account using my phone and it reported all was fine.

Issue now appears resolved, will make a separate post.

Accepted Solution

My issue now appears on the way to being resolved.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

Telstra chat service after a lot of testing and questions have identified an intermittent dropped line / low speed issue (no idea what that means) and will be having an nbn tech visit me tomorrow morning to fix.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more