Dazza1618
Level 3: Gumshoe

Smart Modem SIM not switching in to give 4G data when outage happens

Answered

When the NBN connection box is down (it's had flashing red lights for the last 20 hours (with no reported outages in our area) The built in SIM is not switching to 4G as promised... this happened when we had a one week wait for NBN technician two months ago... How do I activate or connect the SIM ?...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem SIM not switching in to give 4G data when outage happens

I you tried leaving a message that you want to to speak to consultant?

I don't know of any easy ways to get through. I have had problem trying to contact Telstra the other night I tied to message Telstra and received a reply confirming my message had been received and would be put through to a consultant shortly. Two hours later received message that session was ended due to support closing at 9:30 pm. The next day tried again and was contacted within 30 minutes.

View solution in original post

Dazza1618
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your help...  I will keep trying to get an acknowledgement and trying to get through to a consultant...  

@cf4 wrote:

I don't know of any easy ways to get through. I have had problem trying to contact Telstra the other night I tied to message Telstra and received a reply confirming my message had been received and would be put through to a consultant shortly. Two hours later received message that session was ended due to support closing at 9:30 pm. The next day tried again and was contacted within 30 minutes.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
cf4

Have you tried disconnecting modem's WAN or DSL port?

Dazza1618

Apologies I'm working from a flaky mobile phone hotspot and didn't see your reply... did all the things with SIM insert etc I've disconnected the LAN cable from the NBN box that was going into the WAN port...  I don't seem to be able to login to the modem using the hotspot to go to 198.168.0.1

@cf4 wrote:

Have you tried disconnecting modem's WAN or DSL port?

cf4

You want be able to log in to modem when connecting to hotspot will need to connect to modem to log in.

If 4G backup doesn't work with WAN port disconnected it might be disable due to prolonged use. Will need to contact support to have backup re-enabled. 

Dazza1618

I think I've done a silly thing...  I did switch from Hotspot to Modem wifi and looked at LTE and it said detached and didn't seem to have any ipv6 things in there...  but it did say valid...

@cf4 wrote:

You want be able to log in to modem when connecting to hotspot will need to connect to modem to log in.

If 4G backup doesn't work with WAN port disconnected it might be disable due to prolonged use. Will need to contact support to have backup re-enabled. 

then I saw this thing Called WAN Services and clicked on Enable Bridge...  then is started 'transferring settings' in percentages...  now I don't seem to be able to click on the LTE tab ...  have I done something bad?...

cf4

You will need to factory reset modem as it is now in Bridge mode. To reset modem by pressing reset button on back of modem near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds. Modem will reboot.

Dazza1618

@cf4 wrote:

You will need to factory reset modem as it is now in Bridge mode. To reset modem by pressing reset button on back of modem near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds. Modem will reboot.

Thanks so much...  I am way out of my depth here... having to switch backwards and forwards from logging in to the modem and the hotspot to see your responses... 

anyway I am now able to see the modem LTE settings on my iPad whilst typing to you...  help is much appreciated...

Mobile Configuration has no Data APN or username or password or Authentication type...  it has a checkbox saying Mobile Only Mode unchecked.

Under Mobile Status it says Network Status Not Present and Current Operator No Service and nothing next to Radio Signal Quality...  

I've only had the modem for a year and the SIM has never kicked in with down times...  we are in a one or two 4G bar area...

zz

cf4

Section 25 of the document linked in this post shows the normal LTE settings

"Mobile Configuration has no Data APN or username or password or Authentication type..  it has a checkbox saying Mobile Only Mode unchecked."  is normal

Do the settings display a valid SIM (Top right)?

Dazza1618

@cf4 wrote:

Section 25 of the document linked in this post shows the normal LTE settings

"Mobile Configuration has no Data APN or username or password or Authentication type..  it has a checkbox saying Mobile Only Mode unchecked."  is normal

Do the settings display a valid SIM (Top right)?

Yes SIM Status is Valid with a SIM IMSI number but no SIM Subscriber ID.  it does have a SIM ICCID

cf4

Modem should still work with 1 or 2 bars of signal. Are those 1 or 2 bars of signal on Telstra phones?

Dazza1618

@cf4 wrote:

Modem should still work with 1 or 2 bars of signal. Are those 1 or 2 bars of signal on Telstra phones?

I'm on 1 bar of 4G on an Optus connected mobile.. Under Mobile Status its Not Present and  the Current Operator says No Service...  I guess it's just not powerful enough to get a setup connection?

cf4

Yes it looks like the Telstra 4G service is to weak in your area for the modem to operate as everything else looks normal. Hopefully it want take to long to fix NBN link. Have you lodged a fault with Telstra?

Dazza1618

@cf4 wrote:

Yes it looks like the Telstra 4G service is to weak in your area for the modem to operate as everything else looks normal. Hopefully it want take to long to fix NBN link. Have you lodged a fault with Telstra?

Because you are a Supreme Being I am guessing you have probably never experienced the Telstra system for registering faults (smile)

I have been through the Testing Checking outages routine where they say "There seems to be a problem with your connection" the result is NBN Failure and NO Outages recorded... with the two options of Messaging (which goes through the same routine...  I have done this now 10 times in the last 20 or so hours) ... spoken to a number of bots at length explaining the red clicking lights etc... then I started using the phrase "I would like to make a complaint" and copied it four times ... having said "I am sorry for your trouble I am sure I can help you with this" the connection dropped and I had to start over...  each time having to put in my name and details even though I was already logged in to the My Telstra app.
OR you can click "Continue to check online" which is just a spinning link that never connects... have tried that four times and let it run for between 5 and 10 minutes.

I have also been through the same process on the phone 5 times listening to the link music and left it running once for an hour last night... with no response...  and also tried the one of phoning 132200 and saying Complaint... at least four times ... again only getting the same request to put in my day and month of birth.

So the short answer to your question is I have no idea whether Telstra have registered the fault ... and worse am very scared that I will be at the bottom of the queue to get an appointment with NBN which last time took a week....  Do you have any advice on how I can get on the list of NBN callouts? 

cf4
Accepted Solution

Dazza1618
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your help...  I will keep trying to get an acknowledgement and trying to get through to a consultant...  

@cf4 wrote:

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more