MelKaha
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Modem stuck in back up mode

I'll try to keep this short. Connected to NBN got SmartModem. Problems started in Dec 19 with no home phone and modem constantly in back up mode. Got new modem in Feb 20 after complaint to Ombudsman. Still problems with Foxtel/Netflix dropping out & slow internet. Called Telstra yesterday to be told that I am operating on the backup modem and that the Serial No. on my modem does not match what is on their system so they can't reset it. I mean WTF? It has been escalated to technical support who will call me back in the next day or two. Does this sound legitimate or are they telling me fibs?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Smart Modem stuck in back up mode

What type of NBN Connection do you have?

The serial number on the modem in most cases (Except Telstra Cable - non-NBN) is irrelevant and you can reset it from your end.

The problem would seem to be that your NBN connection doesn't actually work and you probably need a technician to visit.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MelKaha

Thanks for getting back to me. I have Fibre to the Node NBN.

Telstra made a big issue about the fact that the Serial # on my modem didn't match their system which was why the reset didn't work and why they couldn't fix it from their end. When I had this issue with the previous modem I had 2 technicians booked to come out and each time it was cancelled as they said they had resolved the issue - which clearly they haven't. And I end up back on the Telstra roundabout where it never gets fixed.

Jupiter

NBN Co are terrible at fixing faults on FTTN connections, and they rarely provide feedback to Telstra. The only way that they find out that NBN Co didn't bother turning up is by the customer calling up and complaining about it.

You can factory reset your modem by pressing the pinhole button near the power button for 10 seconds (using a pin or paperclip). You would then need to log in to the modem and reenter your login details in to the Broadband connection settings.

Given that your modem is not seeing a VDSL signal, then this probably won't fix your problem. The only other thing you could try is to use a different cable for the connection between the phone socket on the wall and the DSL socket on the modem. If none of that works, then it is a fault with your NBN connection and it will require an NBN Co technician.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MelKaha

Thank you for explanation, I now understand why I've been having the same issues ever since going onto the NBN. I've done each of the above steps multiple times so I'm able to confirm that it is an NBN issue and push for a technician when they call me back.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more