Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

smart modem stuck in back up

Smart modem stuck in mobile back up.  Have reset the modem once and switched off and rebooted 2 times but no change.

Modem lights are:

• online - magenta
  • link - green
  • signal  - orange

It appears to me that if the modem is working correctly on back up (i.e. orange light) the on line light should be magenta and the link light extinguished.  If it is working via NBN (fixed connection) there should be 3 green lights (phone, online, link) and an orange for signal.

I have a combination of both light sets!

I have internet service at about 4mbs speed (i.e. mobile back up) but no voip phone connection.

Any suggestions anyone?

Glenn Fisher

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: smart modem stuck in back up

I'd recommend checking for outages at www.outages.telstra.com and if there is not outage call NBN support on 1800834 273
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The link light can be green and the online light can be magenta at the same time. If link light is green it only indicates the physical link between modem and network port is working. If online light is magenta it indicated that the modem is in backup mode because modem can't authenticate with server. This can be caused by a number of faults including a network or link fault.

If you have an ADSL connection check that correct username and password have been entered.
http://192.168.0.1 > Basic > Broadband
Highlighted

Thanks cf4, since I posted I called 1800834 273 as suggested above, After some discussion and some tests the Tech Help concluded that there was an NBN fault. An NBN tech has been booked to attend the fault next Wed 5/12.
About 20 min after the above call was finished my modem suddenly lit up with 3 green lights and an amber for signal (a normal condition for this site). It appears something has just been done at the NBN end. I will see if the service holds up before I get the NBN tech appointment cancelled.
Thanks for all the advice.
Glenn Fisher
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi tasnow, thank you for getting back to cf4. Please let us know how you go with the technician and if the service keeps working now. Regards.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi, the service has been working ok since it came on again Friday. It appears that someone found the fault about 20min after the Help Desk logged the fault and organised an NBN tech visit!! My opinion only but it would be a great coincidence if the fault was resolved without any input from me or the Help Desk.
As it is still working fine I am going to cancel the NBN Tech visit and conclude that the problem has been solved.
Glenn Fisher
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi tasnow, that is great to hear but please let us know should you find anything you need assistance with in the near future. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more