Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart modem

I have received a new Telstra smart modem for my fixed wireless nbn. I noticed that the signal indicators on my connection box are not working and I can’t use the internet. I have reported this and it is an nbn fault. I plugged my modem into another port on my connection box and I can now use my modem in mobile backup. How long can I use mobile backup please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Smart modem

You don't need to have the Smart Modem connected to anything..  the reason it is working with it plugged into that other port, is because that port isn't active, the modem senses that and switches you into 4G backup mode (blue indicator).

If the NBN service is faulty, you can use the Smart Modem in 4G backup mode for the duration of the outage..  that is the whole purpose of the backup mode.  If Telstra see you have been on it a long time they will message you about it, but hopefully they will check for the outage first..  

4G Backup mode might be considerably slower than your normal internet connection - it might be difficult to do any HD streaming for instance..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for your reply. Yes I unplugged the modem and it still works in back up mode. I tried another port as per the manual.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

You only get provisioned the number of ports on the NBN modem to match the number of services being provided..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more