parx
Level 1: Cadet

Smart tv not seeing internet connection

Since changing to the NBN we have 3 smart TV’s that won’t see our internet. They will see the neighbours or hotspot to my phone. I’ve been in contact with Telstra and the TV manufacturer and seem to be going around in circles. The manufacturer says the tv is not compatible with 5GHz and that I need to get that changed. The modem has 2.4GHz and 5GHz but the tv isn’t picking up either. I’ve reset the modem, unticked band steering on the 2.4GHz tab and a few other suggested things and nothing is working. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Smart tv not seeing internet connection

Hi @parx 

You probably need to go into your modem settings and under WiFi scroll down the list until you see "Band Steering Enabled". Untick and SAVE/REBOOT modem.

This will create separate SSID's for the 2 and 5GHz bands.

Now rescan your WiFi connection with your TV.

My body's absorbed so much hand sanitizer that when I pee, it cleans the toilet. 🙂

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Most TVs only support 2.4 GHz WiFi. The modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. This is a common problem with the Technicolor version of the gen 2 smart modem (DJA0231). There is a label on the bottom of the modem with the model of the modem printed on it.

When you disable band steering by removing the tick next to band steering in the modem's 2.4 Ghz WiFi settings you should see two  SSIDs on devices that can connect. A normal SSID (2.4  GHz) and a SSID with -5G added. If you only see the SSID with -5G added then the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and you should contact Telstra support for a replacement modem.

Best way to contact support is to use the blue icon on the bottom left of the My Telstra apps Get Help section.

parx

Thanks for your reply. I have done this but it hasn’t worked. The modem settings have 2 separate tabs one for 2.4 and one for 5GHz. I only have the option to untick it under 2.4

parx

Thanks for your reply. When I untick band steering it doesn’t show 2 different SSID. In my modem settings 2.4 and 5 have they’re own separate tabs and they have the same name, one doesn’t have -5G at the end of it. Ive unticked band steering under 2.4 as it doesn’t allow me to do this under 5. I think you’re right and it may be the modem as it has the same model number that you’ve mentioned.

cf4

If you go to the 5 GHz WiFi tab and look at the network name it should have -5G added if band steering has been disabled.

If you look at the list of available networks on one of your WiFi device that is capable of dual band WiFi you should now see two modem SSIDs broadcast by the modem. If you only see the SSID with -5G added then 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

Another way of checking is to go to the Advanced > Devices tab in the modem. There is a list of al, devices connected to modem and how they are connected. If all WiFi devices are connected to 5GHz and there are non connected on the 2.4 GHz band then the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more