Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smart Wi-fi booster Gen 2 Manual - Ethernet connection

Answered

Hi,

I have a smart modem gen 2 and am considering a wifi booster gen 2, However the technical documentation is severely limited. One post here says Ethernet can be left in for backhaul but I can’t find any telstra documentation to back this up. I do not want to use this with a wifi link between modem and booster.

I have a cat6 cable the runs from one end of the house (where the modem is) to the other end of the house (where there is no wi-fi signal due to internal brick walls) and want to connect the booster here while having just the one network to connect to seamlessly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Wi-fi booster Gen 2 Manual - Ethernet connection

I have one off these boosters and have just tested with it connected via LAN cable in a room remote to the modem. Rest booster to factory defaults. Once booster had finished  booting up it automatically paired with modem. All traffic from devices connected to the boosters used the LAN cable go backhaul. The SSID and password are the same as modem's

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

You can use a LAN cable to permanently connect the Gen 2 modem to the Gen 2 booster. There will only be one network with same SSID and password and booster will use the wired network for its backhaul.

Highlighted

Perfect thanks!

Is there some technical manual or something the describes how this works and is set up or do I just need to buy one and hope for the best? The only telstra document I can find is a single page that says they must be unplugged from each other after being setup.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I have one off these boosters and have just tested with it connected via LAN cable in a room remote to the modem. Rest booster to factory defaults. Once booster had finished  booting up it automatically paired with modem. All traffic from devices connected to the boosters used the LAN cable go backhaul. The SSID and password are the same as modem's

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for checking. Seems like the right solution. As second hand smart modem gen 2s are only $20 used, do you know if it possible to use a second modem as the wifi extender?

Highlighted

Yes a Gen 2 or Gen 1 can be used as a extender connected to main modem by LAN cable.

Would need to remove SIM, change IP address so that its last group of digits are different to main modem, disable DHCP and disable LAN IPv6. Also change SSID and password to match that of main modem. Could also change WiFi channel so that it is not the same as main modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more