Firepac
Level 2: Rookie

Smart WiFi Booster Gen 3 wont pair with Smart Modem Gen 2

I have a new Smart Modem Gen 2 DJA0231TLS, which I have successfully set up and is working perfectly. I did change the supplied wifi network name and password to the old one and everything works.When I try to set up the Telstra Smart wifi Booster Gen 3 M35H-EMR2 following the instructions - connect the supplied cable to the yellow port on the booster and yellow port on the modem, as expected the light it purple, then after a bit flashed blue then eventually turns solid blue. I unplug the yellow ended cable from the booster, light turns red and will not turn solid blue. i Have tried turning booster off and on, tried resetting booster. Nothing has worked. Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Smart WiFi Booster Gen 3 wont pair with Smart Modem Gen 2

I haven't had any of that model of booster to work with..  the three I have, and other ones I have setup for other people have all been Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2 models - M35H-MAP types. Did you get that from Telstra? When you have it connected to your Smart Modem, if you log in to the modem, does it display the product details on the Home page, Wi-Fi Boosters tab. Could you take a screenshot of that  if possible?

Anyway, your description of the set up process sounds the same. After setting up over ethernet cable to the Smart Modem 2, are you waiting a few (2 to 5) minutes after getting to steady blue indicator, before disconnecting the ethernet cable? 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Firepac

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yes I did get them from Telstra.Yes, I waited different periods pf time from 2 minutes upto 10 minutes. I have attached a screenshot of when the booster is connected to the modem with the ethernet cable and the solid blue light showing.

SteveW_52

Have you got a slightly bigger photo, showing the booster details to the right of 'Ethernet'..  or is there nothing there? If there is nothing there, that is your problem, the booster is not registering correcly..

Stevo 52
Firepac

No there is nothing there...it has "excellent' then 'ethernet' then nothing else under any of the other headings

SteveW_52

That might be why the booster doesn't stay connected once you remove the ethernet cable...  two of my boosters are run on ethernet over power links and they show details. Mind you, so does the Wi-Fi one. They all show setails after the connection mode..

Have you tried disconnecting the booster from the modem, then power cycling the modem (leave the power off for a few minutes before starting it up again. Then try setting up the booster again.

If that doesn't work, then a full factory reset - press the recessed button near the SIM card, with a opened out paper clip or similar tool..  hold it depressed for over 10 seconds and the modem will reset to factory defaults. Any changes you made to the modem settings will revert to defaults.

Can you post a photo of the booster and it's label here, I'm intrigued...

Stevo 52
Firepac

Don't know how or why but all seems to be working now. I left the booster connected via ethernet cable overnight (not deliberately), woke up this morning to find the below screenshot. I have no idea why it thinks its been connected for 90 days though!  Disconnected the cable and everything working as it should.

Thank you once again for your help it's much appreciated.

SteveW_52

My guess would be you got a firmware update to the booster overnight. The firmware and Model number is certainly new to my old eyes..  🙂 

Is your booster round or disc shaped? not the rectangular block like your modem?

Stevo 52
Firepac

No its just rectangular. Black not white like the modem.

SteveW_52

Interesting, haven't seen one of those before...  

Does the blue glow annoy you (it is dimmable though)?

Stevo 52
Firepac

Nah, its not going to be anywhere where it would be particualrly noticable.

buizen

Hi Firepac, 

Great to see you were able top resolve the connection of the Gen 3.

I have just ordered one - do you have any specs?

Thank you. 

JoeB7
Level 1: Cadet

I am having exactly the same issue and cannot resolve it....

Any suggestions?

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Have tried leaving the booster connected to LAN port of Smart modem for 24 hours?

JoeB7

No i haven't just overnight with no luck.

cf4

Firmware updates are supposed to occur overnight but they can occur at anytime so I suggest leave connected for at least 24 hours.

SteveW_52

@JoeB7   it is hard to say how long it will take to get the firmware update for the booster, but it will probably be linked to the modem update schedule. As @cf4 mentioned, the updates are 'usually' done overnight (and that seemed to be the case with the unit that @Firepac had. But in my case, the updates have been occurring mid morning of late - there seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the scheduled process, I'd suspect that the timing can stretch out if there any delays encountered, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Although there are some theories around about how to 'force' the update on the modems, I haven't found any of them to work consistently..

That said, and with no hands experience with the Gen 3 boosters you could try:

- with the booster connected by ethernet cable to the modem, power the modem down for at least an hour and then powerup again..

- with the booster connected by ethernet cable to the momodem power the booster off for an hour or so, then power it back on

If the above don't work individually, try doing the power down with both devices at the same time...

Post back here if you get any results.

This is part of the argument for having a manual firmware update included in the modem interface, but alas, it hasn't happened yet..  😞

Stevo 52
cf4

@buizen 

The specs for the Gen 3 booster are located here.

Hardware

• Powerful Quad-core CPU
  • 512 MB RAM memory
  • 128MB Flash memory
  • 1 x auto sensing 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet WAN/LAN port

Wireless Connectivity

• Tri-band concurrent Wi-Fi
  • Dedicated 4x4 5GHz connection to compatible Telstra Smart Modem to maximise performance
  • 2x2 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with backwards compatibility on 2.4GHz
  • 2x2 Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with backwards compatibility on 5GHz
  • Wi-Fi EasyMesh certified self-configuring network for optimised performance
  • Maximum of four boosters on a single Wi-Fi network for maximum coverage

Wi-Fi Roaming

• Wi-Fi roaming IEEE 802.11k/v
  • Wi-Fi Band steering

EasyMesh compatibility with:

• Telstra Smart Modem 1.1 (DJA2030)
  • Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000, DJA2031)
  • Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster Gen 2
fenmik

Are you still having issues?

I have been battling this one for 3 days, but I just fixed my own problem. And you'll laugh at how simple it is.

I had the booster pairing perfectly to blue via ethernet, then turns red after you disconnect, and come hell or high water, just will NOT re-pair once back to blue once disconnected. (All as per box instructions!)

I left the unit overnight, no dice, then another 48 hours, still nothing.

Then I had an epiphany.

The booster has a WPS button on the back, right? I connect my printer this way, right?

So what if I try to connect the booster the same way....and VOILA!

So!!

Once you've paired to blue via ethernet, disconnect the LAN cable. Maintain power.

Press the WPS button on the back of the booster for a few seconds. Then press the pair button on the back of your modem for a few seconds.

Watch the magic unfold! Haha...

Light turns amber, then flashing blue, then solid blue. Thank you jeebus!

Moved to desired home and re-paired without a hitch 🙂

I truly hope this works for you, because I danced around the house like a lunatic after I solved it. 

Lachlan300

Do you know if your gen 2 modem is ARC or Technicolor? I would suggest going into a retail store and picking up a Technicolor modem, staff probably won't know what that means but retail stores will only stock Technicolour, so go get a warranty replacement and try pairing the Gen 3 booster with that. Also note, I don't believe the boosters are compatible with upfront Internet plans

Retail consultant @ Telstra Indooroopilly
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - Telstra WiFi Boosters Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 are made by Arcadyan with Gen 2 and Gen 3 Boosters being compatible with the Arcadyan and Technicolor Gen 2 Smart Modems and the Technicolor Gen 1.1 Modem. The Arcadyan modem support originally came out with the Boosters release, followed months later by the Technicolor support. I haven't seen evidence of one brand of modem getting better performance with Wi-Fi Booster pairing.

I am not familiar with all of Telstra's offerings, what is an example of an upfront Internet plan? 

Tex66

Do you run your boosters via wifi only?  I run the Gen 2 boosters and every now and then they both drop to red simultaneously which as my understanding is the Wi-Fi Dr switching the frequency. It takes a couple of minutes to come back up. 

Do you see anything similar with the Gen 3?

PeteA58

Brilliant suggestion!! Works a treat first go after struggling with same problem for many hours.  Yo deserve a medal!!!

buizen

Thank you for the specs.

I'm finding the experience with 3 wi-fi boosters quite interesting....while there's now reasonable coverage throughout my home I'd like to better understand the algorithms to optimise a device connecting to the wi-fi booster with the strongest signal . Any idea where I could find out more about the algorithms?

cf4

I don't know where you will find information on the Algorithms used to optimize the device connecting to the access point but there is information at this link on what settings can be changed on a PC. See the "Roaming and Connection Settings"

When setting up the Wi-Fi access nodes I use a Wi-Fi heat mapping tool to find the areas were to place nodes for best coverage. There is a good Wi-Fi mapping tool in the Telstra Home Dashboard App which unfortunately is no longer supported by Telstra. Below is an example of a Wi-Fi map produced using this app.

PeteA58

I think maybe I spoke too soon. I placed the Booster in a room near an older (>5 years) Samsung smart TV and after logging it on to the new Smart Modem it initially connected then kept dropping out when streaming Stan and Netflix.  After 6 such attempts I wondered if it was the Booster affecting the connection in the same way my microwave does everything it is used while streaming so I unplugged the Booster and took it to the other end of the house. Result was the old smart TV then connected fine with no interruption.  So it wa the Booster.  In its new location it's now near a newer Samsung smart TV which I also reconnected to the new Smart Modem and it connected first go and streams without interruption.  So it seems that the Booster is incompatible with older Samsung TVs. I should point out that I had the Booster in that room with an old Windows 7 desktop All-in-One HP PC and it was connecting fine as it was with my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 mobile phone. It was just the TV the Booster didn't "like".

buizen

Thanks very much,,,,I'll check it out further.

PeteA58

Actually I take that back. After moving the Booster to the other end of the house I retried streaming Stan and Netflix on the "old" Samsung TV and guess what?  Same drop out. It seems that it was in fact the proximity of the HP PC (and its external back-up drive) that was the problem. It is now apparently running interference with the actual Smart Modem (even though the PC itself connects fine), not the Booster.  I know this because, firstly, all previous modems I have had have never had the dropout of streaming services: always worked fine and secondly, I have now moved the Booster 5m away from the PC and to the other side of the TV and the TV streaming now works better (faster to load) than it ever did with no dropouts.  The moral of the tale is that apparently electronic devices that worked uninterrupted with previous modems actually now cause a level of disruption to the Telstra Smart Modem signal and you need to play around with Booster location to ensure everything connects.

SteveW_52

If you think the HP PC is causing 'a level of disruption' you might need to see what is causing that. When you say that are you referring to interference on the Wi-Fi services? Have you checked with a wi-fi analyser app on a mobile device to see what is actually happening?

Disabling the Wi-Fi on that PC would something to try (run the device on an ethernet cable while testing) and also check it is not enabled as a 'hot spot'. 

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more