Temray
Level 2: Rookie

Smartmodem Technicolor DJA0231

Hi - I’ve just churned my ADSL connection from iiNet to Telstra, but have had lots of hardware problems. (The firmware for the modem is 18.1.c.0347-950-RC). When I first went on line, I changed the SSID to something more relevant, but then had all sorts of problems with connecting different Mac devices by wireless (IP conflicts, etc). I reset the modem, and only changes I made then were to put in my bigpond user ID and password. Devices now connect, but connection is very unstable - lots of dropouts, with the Smartmodem then rebooting itself, having to reconnect, etc. Is the Smartmodem likely to be faulty, or is there anything I can do to make it work better? - I’m not very tech savvy, but the iiNet connection never had any problems, using an old Netgear modem/router. Should I try using the old Netgear with the Telstra sign in details, or persevere with the Smartmodem. Is there anywhere to get help - the chat on the app takes forever & doesn’t get outcomes (It took from April until now to churn my service to Telstra!!!). Any thoughts from anyone?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Smartmodem Technicolor DJA0231

The modem's firmware is outdated. Current firmware is 18.1c.512-950-RB. The modem rebooting could be due to modem attemlting to update the firmware. 

The dropouts could be due to a line fault. The stats at Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL will give an indication of faults with the ADSL link. You could also try using the netgear to see if the same drop outs occur. You just need to enter your big pond user name and password in the netgear.

Changing modem's WiFi password and SSID should not cause any problems. One thing I recommend is disabling band steering which enables you to name the two WiFi bands with separate SSIDs.

There is a link to an unofficial manual of the modem in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-DJA0230-manual-Unofficial...

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

As cf4 mentioned, the modem might be trying to update firmware, so it is best to let it do that before making too many changes. On top of that you might have tried to do too many things at once and maybe missed a step. I have done that myself. Smiley Indifferent

Are the ethernet ports working OK..  I'm old school so if I am doing any configuration I use a cable connection for safety. Not hard to screw up modem settings!

You seem comfortable to get into the modem configuration, so while you are there, in the Wi-Fi section, disable band steering so you can see the 2 bands separately..  check for a PMF setting for each of the WiFi channels and if set, disable it. Make sure you save it. he logout and I would suggest you do a full power cycle, removing power for a good minute before reconnecting and powering up..  then see how it goes?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Temray

Thanks cf4. Apple say in relation to SSID’s: For example, don't use common names or default names such as linksys, netgear, dlink, wireless or 2wire, and don't give your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands different names. See https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202068. So can you clarify the advantage of last suggestion?  Many thanks for your help. 

cf4

The main advantage of disabling band steering is that you have better control over which WiFi band your devices connect to instead of leaving it up to the modem and device. Devices will still switch to the 2.4 GHz WiFi band when they are out of range of the 5 GHz WiFi band provided you have set them up for both bands. They will also switch back to 5 GHz WiFi band when you are back in range of the 5 GHz band.

Another advantage of disabling band steering is that some older WiFi devices have trouble connecting if both WiFi bands have the same SSID.

A third advantage is if you are setting up a 2.4 GHz device using an app on a phone or tablet that requires phone or tablet to connect to the the 2.4 GHz WiFi band for set you can easily force phone or tablet onto the 2.4 GHz band.

I have several apple devices on my network, have band steering disabled and have not experienced any problems so far. I noticed that the latest apple update has introduced a new WiFi privacy feature that changes the MAC address of the device for networks with different WiFi names. This might cause problems as the device switches between bands and dew to the different MAC address receives a different IP address. This can be overcome by turning the privacy setting of for the modem's access point names.

SteveW_52

Apple say a lot of things, many of them solely aimed at keeping you within the Apple ecosystem..  the common name usage is a Networking 101 thing..  as for giving you Wi-Fi nets different SSID's etc. that is really your choice, the devices don't care as long as you point them at the one you want to use..  one of the first things I do with almost every device is do away with default SSID, keys, usernames and passwords, to something that makes sense to me (ot really interested in people who are casually passing by) and certainly different to the Telstra settings that aren't too hard to break.

And plus 1 to all of cf4's suggestions and comments..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Temray

Thanks again. Everything seems to be working better at present (‘tho I haven’t tried to connect my printer & that’s often where problems seem to arise). The firmware for the Smartmodem has now updated, but to 18.1.c.0543-950-RA, not the version you indicated is current. Any thoughts?

cf4

If you have problems with printer try turning of Protected Management Frames in the Advanced WiFi settings. PMF enhances  WiFi security but some older devices are not compatible. If printer connects with PMF disabled see if check online for a printer firmware update that provides PMF support.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more