Mel116
Level 2: Rookie

Some devices can no longer find the modem wifi

Suddenly my older laptop, printer, 3 or so year old mobile cannot find the wifi. It doesn’t come up on the list. Newer iPads, laptop and phone can find it. Did hard resets etc. doesn’t work. Rang Telstra and went through all the checks and turning on and off etc and they concluded no issue with the modem. I continued to try to find solutions etc. I then logged into the router and saw the devices that are active are all on 5GHz broadwith. It shows both 2.4 and 5 are enabled. In looking at that and having a device that can only connect to 2.4 not be able find the modem I have surmised that the 2.4GHz transmitter in the modem is faulty. Telstra seem to think that as I still have wifi and some devices can connect then there’s nothing wrong. I just want a replacement modem - that’s all. Actually had a supervisor hang up on me - not happy with the service so far and I will be putting in a complaint if I am not sent a replacement Smart Modem. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Some devices can no longer find the modem wifi

You are correct in assuming the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty judging by your observations. The 2.4 GHz WiFi going faulty is a common problem with the Technicolor Gen 2 modem (DJA0231). There are several posts were people have had the same problem. I had one of these modems replaced by Telstra when the 2.4 GHz WiFi went faulty.

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Do you have a Smart Modem 2 now? Log in to it at 192.168.0.1, default username and password is admin / Telstra (this is also on the label on the bottom)

Go to the Advanced Menu, then the Wi-Fi page..  if you can see a setting named Band Steering, turn that off and save the settings..  you should now have two wi-fi networks visible in the device - the same name for them except the 5 G band will have -5G added to the name..   You will have to reconnect any devices connected by 5GHz..   but you should also be able to see the 2.4GHz band... the password will be same as previous for them both..

If you can't see the 2.4 GHz band at all, then you might have a DJA0231 Smart Modem 2 - this is also on the label on the bottom..  and the Wi-Fi might have failed..

If you don't have a Smart Modem 2, then please advise what model it is..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mel116

They refused to replace it then hung up on me. I’m still on hold after 58 minutes

Mel116

That’s where I went to check it - it’s a smart modem gen 2

SteveW_52

There are two models of Smart Modem 2  Smiley Happy

If you click on WiFi  can you see the Band Steering setting?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
cf4

Judging from the image of the modem's GUI you have the model of the Gen 2 modem that is susceptible to the 2.4 GHz WiFi goiing faulty.

Mel116

Ok went into wifi and disabled band steering. Reconnected and it says -5 now. Still no wifi on the older phone

Mel116

After 1.5 on the phone on hold I figured they had all gone home.

cf4

The fact you only see WiFI with -5G added is further proof you can use to convince Telstra support that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is not working. 

SteveW_52

OK..  and the 2.4Ghz band doesn't show up in the available networks when you try to join a network?

As @cf4  says, that model of modem seems to be prone to 2.4 GHz WiFi band failure unfortunately.

Stevo 52
Mel116

When I can reach them

cf4

Do you have the My Telstra App. If you do use the messaging function on the get help section to contact support. You can leave a message for them to contact you. Be patient as it might take an hour or two before they respond.

SteveW_52

Yes, that is the hard part..  have you tried using the My Telstra app Get Help | Chat option  type in Talk to a human...  you will go into a queue and someone will message you back, it can take a couple of hours sometimes - they will message back so keep checking the app to see if you get a notification..

Kind of surprised to read that you are calling them, and even more surprised you are getting a response...

Stevo 52
Mel116

They’ve answered eventually all of the times but won’t accept I need a new modem. Being spoken to like I’m an idiot and being unreasonable.

Mel116

I’ve just downloaded it. I’m going to put it on there and make a complaint. 

SteveW_52

I will have to try that myself...  

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

If you want to lodge a complaint..

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Include as much detail as you can and include any references you have..  it might take a week or so for a case manager to get back to you though..

Stevo 52
JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Mel116, using the Messaging Function in the MyTelstra app is the best way to gain assistance with your modem issues. The AI, Codi, will ask what your query is about, be sure to use a really simple phrase such as "NBN Faults" to ensure you are put through to an agent who can assist as quickly as possible. 

This is also the fastest way to raise a complaint if you would like to, instead of saying "NBN Faults" just say "Complaints" and an agent will take it from there.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more