slb2
Level 2: Rookie

Some devices will not connect to WIFI

We were just sent a new Telstra Smart Modem (Gen 2 with voice backup) for our NBN and when setup most devices connected immediately to the WIFI and some will not (one Telstra mobile phone and one lenovo tablet). Any advice on troubleshooting this? We have reset the modem, restarted devices, turned them off/on etc.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Some devices will not connect to WIFI

Try going into the wifi settings of the modem and turn off PMF.

If that doesn't work, turn off Band Steering as well and see if that allows them to connect (you will see 2 wifi networks with the same name but the 5GHz network will have -5G on the end).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

Problem is probably due to the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi being faulty especially if you have the DJA0231 modem. The devices that can connect are probably dual band and the Alcatel tablet and Telstra phone probably only support 2.4 GHz WiFi.

To check if 2,4 GHz WiFi is faulty log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), go to WiFi settings > 2.4 GHz, disable band steering and save settings. Disabling band steering adds -5G to 5GHz WiFi name. If you only see the name with the -5G added on devices that can connect then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

If 2.4 GHz WiFi is not faulty try turning of Protected Management Frames (Wi-Fi PMF) in modem's Advanced WIFi settings.

SSSSSSSSSSSSS
Level 1: Cadet

I had the same problem with a work Lenovo laptop. It wouldn't connect and it was actually freezing and rebooting continuously. I had to turn off the Wifi PMF setting in the router and then everything worked and no more rebooting.

slb2

An update.. I have been able to connect to both the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz networks through my device. After turning band steering off both SSIDs appear as well so it doesn't seem to be a 2.4 fault. The two devices that can't connect see the SSID but when entering the password it just comes up as 'saved' and won't connect. Both devices support both 2.4/5G. I have tried turning off anything that may provide interference as well.

Where is "PMF" under wifi settings? (also should mention we have the technicolor version not arcadyan)

slb2

Thank you everyone for your help. I found the PMF under advanced wi-fi settings and oddly enough we had to enable it in order to get them to connect (was previously disabled).

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more