Level 2: Rookie

Stick with ADSL “smart” modem or switch to mobile broadband trying to decide

Answered

I have ADSL on a smart modem.... you know where this is going, My ADSL has been out for a week so obviously it’s been shaped (I feel like i’ve been sold a pup on this mobile backup business) 

I’m semi rural, whenever it rains my ADSL drops out for a minimum of 2Days usually a week, shaping at any less then a week is, I feel, unreasonable considering I pay for unlimited data and the advertising for modem suggests it’ll provide seamless internet service 

this time it’s been 5 days before I got time to actually call end of year hectic work stuff 

we’ve been hot spotting off our phones most of the week and are almost out of data on them 

I messaged  2 days ago and was told my ADSL is out and I’ll receive a 10gb data pack on my phone. I still haven’t seen the data pack

I called today and was again told the data pack was being processed and would take 24-48hour.

I questioned why when they know my ADSL will be down until the 31st and my 4G on my mobile works they cannot switch my 4G back to proper speed, I was told they will but it will take 24-48hours, so either way I’m stuck at 0.3mbps for 24-48 hours, and after that I only have 10gb to play with unless the 4G backup is unlocked 

so first question is this the normal amount of time for it to get unshaped or is it possible that there is a miss-understanding during the discussion 

second question, will I better off doing away with the ADSL and just going mobile data, even if it’s a little extra will it be worth paying for considering rain is a fairly regular occurrence at the moment and

I have an online conference coming starting on the 2nd so I need to be able to stream video and likely will only have a few Gb to work with if I stop the household chatting with their friends and watching TV

B
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Stick with ADSL “smart” modem or switch to mobile broadband trying to decide

If you are in one of the areas were Telstra is offering 5G Home broadband with 500 GB of data for $85 it would be worth switching to cellular broadband. If your not in one of those areas mobile broadband will be expensive if using a lot of data. Another problem with cellular broadband is you don't have a public IP address so some online games might not work and anything that requires port forwarding such as some security cameras will not work.

It used to take 24 hours for throttling to be removed but I am pretty sure it can be done in less than 24 hours now.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Accepted Solution

Re: Stick with ADSL “smart” modem or switch to mobile broadband trying to decide

If you are in one of the areas were Telstra is offering 5G Home broadband with 500 GB of data for $85 it would be worth switching to cellular broadband. If your not in one of those areas mobile broadband will be expensive if using a lot of data. Another problem with cellular broadband is you don't have a public IP address so some online games might not work and anything that requires port forwarding such as some security cameras will not work.

It used to take 24 hours for throttling to be removed but I am pretty sure it can be done in less than 24 hours now.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more