Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Switching from Telstra smart modem to to link ac1200

Hi

Hoping someone can help please with very simplified terms of what I need to do in order to swap our Telstra smart modem over the Tp link ac1200 modem router. 

We are FTTP and the new modem router states it is nbn ready.

it wants to be plugged into the nbn box via dsl line - previously we’ve used network cable from nbn box to back of smart modem.

we can get the modem to be recognised on wifi and can connect to wifi, but we are unable to access the internet. I’ve been able to access the tp link page but unsure as to what settings I need to change in order to get the internet connected.

the tp link page states dsl disabled

apprectaite the help in advance 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Switching from Telstra smart modem to to link ac1200

Set Internet Connect to Dynamic IP as per section 4.2 of manual. Select do not clone mac address.

https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/Archer_C1200(US)_V1_UG.pdf

Highlighted

Thanks, I’ve changed it to Dynamic IP and still unable to connect. I notice that IP, subnet and gateway are blank. Should I be updating these?

thanks 

Highlighted

I’ve reset it and it’s now picked up the addresses, and says connected to internet, but we can not get anything on the internet, times out, not available. 

Do I need to configure some of the settings to point to Telstra nbn settings?

Highlighted

We can get wifi now by changing the operation mode to wifi but it means nothing connected via Ethernet cables at the back of the modem like our security system will work.

any ideas welcome thanks 

Highlighted

Try disconnecting and then reconnecting all the LAN cables at the back of the modem?

Highlighted

Unfortunately that didn’t help, is it because we’ve set it as wifi in operation mode?

we couldn’t get in to connect to the internet any other way

thanks 

Highlighted

You should still be able to use the LAN ports with operation mode set to "Wireless router Mode".

The problem could be due to the security system having a static IP address that is not in the same subset as the Tp link ac1200 modem router (192.168.1.xx). The Smart modem used (192.168.0.xx). You could try changing the LAN IP of the modem to 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.1.1.

To do this log into the Tp link ac1200 modem router

Go to Advanced > Network > LAN,

Change IP address to 192.168.0.1

Save Settings.

Modem should reboot.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

FTTP doesn't use a DSL telephone cable to connect to the Internet. It connects from the WAN port of the modem to the UNI-D port of the NBN Connection box. Do you have FTTP or FTTB/N - the latter are VDSL connections using a telephone cable.

Highlighted

We have FTTP, we’ve previously connected Telstra smart modem via WAN however the tp link expects us to join via dsl. I have connected via wan only and can only get to work if I change the operation mode to wifi. None of the LAN ports on the back are working to connect to internet, I’ve tried plugged in computer or our security system etc

The box of the tp link modem router states nbn FTTP ready but unless it’s on wifi I can’t figure it out

Thanks 

Highlighted

Unless the TP link modem is faulty the LAN ports should provide an internet connection when TP-Link is in "Wireless router Mode". "Wireless router Mode" only means the modem is using the WAN port instead of the DSL port or 3G/4G USB dongle.

Check that the computer LAN network adapter is set up to use DHCP.

Highlighted

Hi - if you are still having a problem connecting to the Internet, is Photo 1 page still showing VLAN ID Enabled with type 100? That setting is not required for Telstra NBN and usually associated with DSL networks - don't know if it causes confusion is still enabled. If it is showing, suggest to Disable it and SAVE to see if it helps.

A fresh install may also be worth considering - disconnect TPLink VR400 from NBN Connection Box, Factory Reset modem via Menu or a paperclip in the reset hole with power on for 10 seconds, connect PC to LAN 1, program VR400 to 'Wireless Router Mode' to set LAN4 port to WAN status, SAVE, reboot VR400 to check it is set as WAN port, restart PC, then connect LAN cable from TP-Link WAN port to NBN UNI-D Internet Port - cross fingers you should have Internet. Restart any other devices so they get a fresh IP connection to the VR400.

If you can access the VR400 and Internet from a wireless device but not from a wired Windows PC, on the PC you can also use a 'ping 192.168.1.1'  and 'ipconfig/all' command line entries (Network Utility App on a Mac) to verify if the LAN ports 1-3 are operative. Let us know if you are still not able to use the LAN ports and will show you how to do further testing if required. 

Highlighted

Thanks, changed the DSL enabled setting and pulled the LAN cables and reinstalled and they are working great now

thanks for your help!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more