millsy27
Level 2: Rookie

Techicolour DJA0231 Wifi not being picked up by some devices

Answered

Please settle in with a cup of tea - this is a bit of a long story,

I have a DJA0231 that I was basically told to buy by Telstra after a supposed modem malfunction in July 2020. $240 later ( 2 and a half hours at the local Telstra shop) ( and recently I gave my daughter the old supposedly faulty modem- and it is working for her.  NBN has been patchy all along but yesterday this has resulted in the utmost stupidity I have seen. I have contacted Telstra support, who didnt solve a thing and spoke to me like I was a backward 2 year old.

Yesterday this Wifi router disappeared from my work Laptop as a connection. I have checked everything in my house and have found the following: The work HP laptop, spare HP laptop,  Samsung A20  and Brother MFC-J470DW cannot see My Telstra network (FW Version 18.1.c.0585) however can detect various other Telstra, Optus, iinet and TP-Link networks in the neighbourhood. It is also showing some network called SETUP, but I cannot connect to that - I also have a Samsung S10 ;Schwann security system , Old Samsung tablet and 3 Roku Telstra Tv devices which can all detect this Telstra Wifi network. (Schwann and One only Roku are connected via Range extenders and LAN cables - however the other 2 Roku devices are Wifi Only with range extenders in the rooms furthest from the Router)  restarted all devices and did 2 factory resets on the "Smart" modem (hahah)  and nothing - absolutely nothing changes. I bit the bullet and reported the fault and then on an online help chat, the Telstra technician Factory reset the Modem once again and still no difference, I was advised to disable the Band Steering Automatic which I did, and then the S10 could not find the network along with everything else. I have one laptop connected via LAN cable, but that does not in any way help me to print unless I carry the laptop to the printer and plug it in. It also doesnt help my work phone A20  to connect. I have searched on these Support boards and Google and contacted a local IT expert who remotely check my laptop settings and advised me to talk to Telstra.

If any one can provide constructive assistance it would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation, Sandra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Techicolour DJA0231 Wifi not being picked up by some devices

The most likely cause of this problem is that the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and is no longer transmitting. This is a common fault with this modem.  The printer only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi and the other devices that can't see modem's WiFi probably only support 2.4 GHz WiFi. If WiFi is faulty modem should be replaced by Telstra under warranty.

To check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty log into the modem by opening a web browser on a device connected to modem and going to http://192.168.0.1, default password is Telstra, Go to WiFi, remove tick next to "Band Steering Enable" in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings and save settings. Disabling band steering adds -5G to the name of the modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If you can now only see modem's WiFi with -5G added on the devices that can see modem's WiFi but not the WiFi name without -5G added then the modem's 2.4GHz WiFi is faulty.

Another way to very the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty is to log into modem and go to Advanced > Devices. There is a list of all the devices connected to modem and how they are connected. If all WiFi devices are connected to 5GHz this is a good indication 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty but not definite proof the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty, Disabling band steering is a more definite way of proving that 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Accepted Solution

The most likely cause of this problem is that the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty and is no longer transmitting. This is a common fault with this modem.  The printer only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi and the other devices that can't see modem's WiFi probably only support 2.4 GHz WiFi. If WiFi is faulty modem should be replaced by Telstra under warranty.

To check if the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty log into the modem by opening a web browser on a device connected to modem and going to http://192.168.0.1, default password is Telstra, Go to WiFi, remove tick next to "Band Steering Enable" in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings and save settings. Disabling band steering adds -5G to the name of the modem's 5 GHz WiFi. If you can now only see modem's WiFi with -5G added on the devices that can see modem's WiFi but not the WiFi name without -5G added then the modem's 2.4GHz WiFi is faulty.

Another way to very the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty is to log into modem and go to Advanced > Devices. There is a list of all the devices connected to modem and how they are connected. If all WiFi devices are connected to 5GHz this is a good indication 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty but not definite proof the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty, Disabling band steering is a more definite way of proving that 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

View solution in original post

AmberSC
Support Team
Support Team

Hi there millsy27, how did you go with the steps that cf4 provided? If you're still needing a hand with this our faults team should be able to offer you some more assistance, you can reach them over the Telstra app by clicking 'get help' and sending through a message.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more