Level 2: Rookie

Technicolor DJN2130 Frontier modem not working with Wake-on-LAN

Hello,
Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening?
Laptop wireless interface card is configured with wake-on-lan. The wireless interface card is also setup with static IP leases in the DJN2130 router. Local network IPv6 is also disabled.
This setup works if the magic packet to wake up is sent immediately after the device is put into sleep (say within 15mins). However, if the magic packet is sent after 15 minutes, the device does not wake up.
Initially I thought it was a device configuration issue or fault. However, when I setup an alternate wireless network using a TP-LINK router, the device was successfully woken up even after hours of sleep. This means there is some issue with the Technicolor DJN2130 not routing the broadcast magic packet to the device.
Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on why this might be happening, or paths of investigation I could try?
Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Technicolor DJN2130 Frontier modem not working with Wake-on-LAN

Before sending the magic packet check in the frontier modem that the laptop is still shown as connected in the Gateways GUI. (Green status icon next to the IP address of the laptop in the gateway's Advanced > Devices page). If status is not green then the laptop has been disconnected from the gateway probably because wifi adapter has turned off.

Have you unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the the Network adapters power management tab of the configure settings?

Thank you for your reply. 

The laptop does not show as connected in the Devices page. However, the wifi adapter must be in listening mode since it does wake up when i attempted

this setup with another wireless network (tplink router). Also to add, the laptop shows disconnected in the Devices page straight away when the laptop goes to sleep but it does wake up within 15 mins. it’s really strange. 

Yes - the setting “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” is also enabled. 

Have you try setting Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" to disabled?

Apologies I misread that. 

if I disable “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” then the subsequent selection to “Allow this device to wake up the computer” are greyed out. Hence the former selection needs to be enabled. 

Have you tried changing the Control Panel > System & Security > Power Options > Edit power Settings > Change Advanced Power options > Wireless adapter > Power Saving mode to Maximum performance ? 

Yes - that doesn’t seem to affect the card’s power levels during sleep. 

Even though you have set up a static IP address in the Gateway you could try increasing the DHCP lease time in the gateway.

Thank you. I've done that too... its set to 168h. 

The next thing I'm thinking to try is disabling DHCP all together. 

Do you happen to know if this branded firmware is limited and restricts access to some of the router features? I have a feeling there may be configuration settings for how the router broadcasts wifi packets.  

The firmware does hide some of the modem's features. The are hacked firmware versions available for some of the Technical modem's. If you do a search on technicolor hacked firmware you will come across with a list of gateway / modems and firmware.

Right - thank you. I will try the hacked firmware as the last resort as I don’t know if Telstra would provide any official product support here. 

You can always get a second hand modem to experiment on. I have seen Gen 1 Smart modem's and Gateway frontiers from as little as $5 at some cash convertors. Also seen Gen 2 modems for as little as $20.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more