MiloMan
Level 2: Rookie

Technicolor Smart Modem Gen 2 (DJA0231) Rebooting Regularly at Approx. Same Time of Day ???

Hi Telstra Crowdsupport,

Since I've received my new Gen 2 smart modem, the performance has generally been good in terms of achieved speeds, latency and stability. Except for one glaring and super-annoying issue: a regular, almost as clockwork, daily reboot happening some time after 11am AEDT.

This is clearly not coincidental nor caused by some sort of "other device" or "Power supply" set of issues (as per some other threads on here), because it is regular and tied to this arbitrary timeslot and _never_ occurs at any other time.

I've logged multiple faults with Telstra, and they're yet to provide any satisfactory solution (other than the usual "reboot". factory reset etc,, all of which has been tried to no avail), so I am hoping someone here can help me please! I suspect some back-end system may be driving the Smart Modem to reset itself for some reason, since it's far too regular to be normal (both in terms of periodicity and time of day).

Details of the Smart Modem:

Firmware Number 18.1.c.0543-950-RA

Modem Make Model Technicolor DJA0231 Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Milo

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Technicolor Smart Modem Gen 2 (DJA0231) Rebooting Regularly at Approx. Same Time of Day ???

Hi - that condition has been experienced recently by a few ADLS2 customers who posted on the forum having the Arcadyan modem rather than the Technicolor which, for one user fixed the problem. Are you on the NBN FTTN? 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/home-broadband/connection-fails-every-night-at-the-same-time/... 

MiloMan

Re: Technicolor Smart Modem Gen 2 (DJA0231) Rebooting Regularly at Approx. Same Time of Day ???

Hi Mkrtich,

Thanks. I am on Telstra NBN HFC, so both the modem type and underlying technology are different - a few too many variables perhaps?

In any case, that solution seems to be referring to changing the password on the modem itself, if I understood correctly? Is that right? If so, in the thread I noticed that a user reported that even after doing that, even though it helped for a couple of days, the issue started recurring by the second.

There's got to be some system or script which is doing this, given the regularity - surely?

Cheers,

Milo

Mkrtich

Yes, one of those mysteries that only Telstra can solve - the same time implies an automated cause. I think the account and password setup may have been related to a system reset on the equipment that the modem was connected to in the network.  My son has NBN HFC using Technicolor DJA0231 and had regular NBN modem and Telstra modem disconnect issues daily for at least three months, typically at night time. Both units were located in a concrete encased cellar with no fresh air under his home - IT Manager's nightmare!

Both modems were running at over their maximum rated environment levels - 41 degrees Celsius which I think caused the crashes - I think they would be near to 50 degrees inside. You couldn't leave your hand on them for a more than 10 seconds. He relocated both to a ventilated room two weeks ago and its been stable ever since.  

cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is one big difference between what is happening with ADSL customers and your case. On ADSL links the modem loses its connection to the internet. The modem does not reboot.

These modem's call home every day to update the maintenance server with what has occurred in previous 24 hours. Sometimes the maintenance server will tell the modem to change settings such as the WiFi channel used. These reboots could be caused by maintenance server. Unfortunately the logs in the Technicolor modems get reset when modem reboots so there is no way to check if this is what is causing the reboots.

MiloMan

Thanks for the info guys.

the really important differentiator here is that in my case (unlike some others described in previous threads) there is absolutely no involvement at all with the Layer 2 NBN termination box. That continues functioning as normal in all cases, so based on all the indicators this absolutely does not appear to be any sort of NBN connectivity issue - rather, purely a Telstra Layer 3 Gateway reboot issue (for whatever reason). 

@cf4 the maintenance server lead sounds hopeful, but I wonder how we can make it a more useful one - something like this shouldn't be happening this often, and certainly not at 11am !! Does anyone from Telstra actually read and act on these threads, because it's clear from both Whirlpool and this forum that this is not an isolated issue.

@Mkrtich we can immediately rule out the "running above rated levels" because the environmentals are normal room temp (with aircon too) where everything else works fine. Plus, the thing about "at same time of day" (noting that it's roughly in the half hour slot from 11am and 11:30am, as opposed to specifically AT 11:00am).

So if there's someone from Telstra on these boards, hopefully they can address this by checking any back-end systems which schedule this sort of stuff, or can look into similar reports for this particular combination of Gateway model and NBN access technology.

Cheers,

Milo

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more