Rico83
Level 1: Cadet

technicolor tg797n v3

Hi , i have a technicolor tg797n v3 sitting around pretty much new . I know these don't work directly with the nbn from my understanding , but they can be used to provide extra ports ? which is what id like to do . 

I have the smart modem in one room with a ethernet cable plugged into the lan port  running to the lounge room. id like to setup the tg797n v3 to be able to then connect out of it to the tv and kodi box i have to provide internet. is it possible with this modem/router ? 

i dont know much about networking so a laymens term step by step guide would be helpful... 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: technicolor tg797n v3

You could just connect WAN port of the TG797 to the ethernet socket. This should give you internet on the LAN ports of the TG797 for TV and kodi box. The only problem with this set up is you will have to different networks. Devices connected directly to the smart modem will not be able to see the TV and kodi box.

If you only want one network you could use the same setup but set the TC797 into Bridge mode by logging into TG797 on a device connected directly to TG797 (http://10.0.0.138), going to Advanced > Local Network and selecting Bridge Mode.

Rico83

I have only found setup wizard which allows me to do bridge mode , the first option is to enable DHCP server on the gateway .... when i go to  Advanced > Local Network  i have the below screen . 

cf4

That is very different to what I see (See image below), Are you using a web browser or the CD which came with the modem?

Rico83

web browser - through the 10.0.0.138 

cf4

Looks like your TG797 v3 has non standard firmware on it. You will have to go through the settings looking for one called Bridge mode.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - your screen mimics the TG587nV3 FW 10.3.V7 but with added DECT function in yours, so it may share the same menus for other functions. I take it you have found the Bridge mode setting but wish to modify the DHCP function so that it is Disabled, allowing the Gen 2 modem to allocate all IP addresses on the network.

In the left hand margin of your screen, do you see

Local Network

Devices

Interfaces

Select Interfaces

Click the 'LocalNetwork' link at the top of the tree map to take you to the Overview | Configure screen

Select Configure and you can then Disable DHCP.

If you can't access the Configure screen due to previously setting the modem into Bridge Mode, you might be able to directly access it by setting your PC up with an IP address within the 10.0.0.138 range to edit the screen. I don't have experience with Bridge Mode and don't know if with this modem, whether it automatically knocks out the DHCP Server. If you haven't set it up into Bridge Mode, let us know as I have taken a screen shot in case you need it. 

Rico83

Hey mate , i found that section ...  thats how it sits at the moment but no internet . im obviously missing something

Mkrtich

Thanks - does this work for you - if the modem has been bridged and that setting SAVED, this screen appears to shows that it is still using its own DHCP Server for devices that are connected to it, hence why they may not be able to access the Internet which is controlled by the Gen 2 modem.

Does the Configure Link option which is adjacent to Overview Link present a page to you that allows you to Disable DHCP IP4, if so, Disable it and SAVE, then reboot the modem by doing a power reset. Before attempting a connection from your PC to the modem, power down and Restart the PC so it gets a fresh IP address from the Gen 2 modem. Hoping this works as I have not personally done this before but it seems logical that this may provide those devices with Internet.

Devices connected to the TG797n V3 should then be treated as clients of the Gen 2 modem. 

Mkrtich

Hi - looks like I forgot to mention a very important step, that in addition to Disabling DHCP in the TG797n V3, that you also need to change the IP address range and subnet mask to the same data as it appears in the Gen2 modem to create a single network which then allows devices on both modems to freely interconnect to each other. This guide outlines all the steps. https://router-support.co/how-to-bridge-two-routers 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more