Level 5: Eagle Eye

Technicolour or Arcadyan

If you had a choice in January 2021, which modem is best - Technicolour or Arcadyan? Is the Arcadyan shipped out already upgraded with the latest firmware? I'm reading horror stories on the net. I also have not been sent a connection box and apparently we are on FTTC which is around six months old. I'm reading conflicting reports as to whether a connection box is required or not. My place is close to the street cable and footpath box.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Technicolour or Arcadyan

You will require a NBN FTTC modem which connects to a normal phone socket. In some cases a NBN technician is sent out for installation and they bring the NBN FTTC modem with them.

In my opinion the the Technicolor is the better modem.

The modem's don't ship with the latest firmware and usually will reboot several times when first connected as the firmware updates are downloaded and installed.

Well it seems TLS doesn't want to answer. Maybe now they only supply the Arcadyan and maybe the tech updates the firmware on the installation day (?) if it isn't shipped like that. The TLS page says the tech "may" come inside and "may" install a connection box which "may" require drilling. That's fine they can drill if they want (but probably won't need to I'd imagine). I've read elsewhere though that "some" FTTC doesn't require a connection box, the Gen 2 plugged straight in will do it anyway? Obviously there's a reason why TLS or NBN haven't supplied the connection box (yet). 

Why doesn't TLS just answer this simple query and save us all some time?  

Cheers - thanks mate!

Level 25: The Singularity

As @cf4 has already stated, an FTTC connection needs to have a connection box.

The reason is because the Fibre-VDSL converter in the street is powered by the NBN Connection box from the customer's premises. A standard modem does not have the capability to supply the power the the equipment in the street.

The technicians do not update the firmware on the modems. Firmware updates are an automatic process that is initiated as part of the startup routine of the modem. You power it on, it connects to the internet and then looks to see if there is an update file available. The modem then downloads it, installs the update and reboots. This may happen a few times in succession if there have been multiple updates since the modem was manufactured.

The reference to drilling is only in relation to having to install a phone socket if required. Normally required only if there is no existing phone socket, or the existing phone socket is no near a power outlet so a new one needs to be installed.

As Crowdsupport is not an official support channel (other than for Sports Streaming products), why are you concerned about Telstra employees not answering. It is primarily a Customer-Customer support forum after all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Well we pay TLS a LOT of money. We are premium customers with Foxtel Platinum included.

Who has this connection box please? The tech when he arrives?

Cos I've been sent the Arcadyan G2 modem which is FTTC compatible. But look at the horror stories all over the net about it.

Meanwhile, I can maybe get my hands on a Technicolor (perhaps) which only says FTTB & FTTN on the box. But I think it can do FTTC as well right? I'm even reading the old Gateway modem can do it but of course don't want to go down that path. 

Thx for any input.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend with Telstra. Everyone is alike here. I have 4 mobiles and an XBox subscription through Telstra. Unless you are a very large business, you are just a consumer.

Any of the Telstra Smartmodems will work with an FTTC connection, as will a F@st 5355. Basically any modem that is VDSL2 capable.

The connection box will either be posted to you, or the technician will bring one when they come to install. We don't know which it will be.

All modems can be a pain in the proverbial at times. I have a D-Link DSL-4320L which is great most of the time, but even it and my D-Link DIR-1960 need a swift kick every now and then when they decide to misbehave. Most people have very few problems with the Telstra issued modems, the stories that you see are in the minority of users.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

All the latest Telstra modem's can be used for a FTTC connection. The only difference is the accessories that come in the boxes. The box labeled FTTN/FTTB will have a phone cable plus instructions for setting up a FTTN or FTTB connection. The box labeled FTTC will come with a WAN cable and instructions for a FTTC connection.

The Arcadyan modem did have a few teething problems when first released Most of these problems have know been fixed. I have used both modem's and both give the same performance and both are very reliable. The reason I prefer the  Technicolor is its diagnostic functions are better than those in the Arcadyan.

Cheers mate - give your compadre a Bex & tell him to have a nice lie down.

Then tell him the "we" in his reply is a dead giveaway, but thanks anyway for the info from both of you. 

Why doesn't TLS just put that on an internal page when we sign-in to telstra.com.au? Next to the "What will happen" page or whatever? Then we're not wasting anyone's time.

Let's hope this thing plugs in & runs nice and fast. I'm still paying over-the-odds for just 50mb and Foxtel. 

Thanks, finally got the info we require. 

Now go have a nice cup of tea & a shot of something stronger.

I like your comment about what you can read into "we". I think you are overestimating your ability to read.

When I said "we", I meant people who help out on Crowdsupport.

FYI. I don't, and never have worked for Telstra. Telstra employees are required to disclose the fact that they work for Telstra in their signature line (even if they are here not in an official capacity). The one's who are here in an official capacity have a nice little Telstra logo next to their name. And we've been through this all before when you threatened to investigate me as your role as a "Senior Finance Journalist".

Uh? I'm not a "senior finance journalist". 

But I do know some ppl in TLS. 

Hahahahahahaha ...

Excellent, so forgotten your post from ‎09-10-2015 12:43 PM? I might read something into that myself.

Phone scam and privacy? - Telstra CrowdSupport - 511477

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more