Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

tecnicolor TG799vac failure coinciding with telstra exchange work

I have seen a recent spate of problems with the TG799vac modem,  they get flaky after a while and stop leting wifi connections join with the network key.

My mother-in-law had one and would randomly drop the 2.4 and 5g wifi signal, and then we had two at work in different locations that lost their ability to connect - the common thing across all three was that Telstra were doing work on the exchange in these three locations.   I replaced my M-I-L's with a chapie TPlink single channel modem and all is good, and at work we replace the technicolours with differnt versions and again - all was good. 

What is very odd - is that once the TH799vac has this particular issue, the reset button doesnet work - either that of the modem was physically damaged as a result of the telstra work done at the exchange.  And after reset, will not even allow a ethernet connection to 10.0.0.138 or http:/mygateway/  - it just wont resolve..  After reset - still would not allow wi-fi connection with defalt network key.

All three modems were less than 12 months old, and suddenly failed or started failing when telstra began the exchange work.. 

Has anyone else expereinced similar problems?  I work in IT and can not in good concience recommend this modem.. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: tecnicolor TG799vac failure coinciding with telstra exchange work

Hi ausfalc

I think I read somewhere that the problem with the 799 vac's recently had something to do with a firmware update and that Telstra were replacing the affected modems.

I have a 799 vac and have not experenced the problem to date.......touch wood.  LOL

Highlighted

I had same problem. Telstra first advised that they would replace modem free of charge. That hasn't happen as yet. Was also told by Telstra that that had recently changed their policy on replacing modems where faults weren't reported straight away and even then only replacing if still within warranty. Needless to say I'm confused if what has been doen over the network kills the modem. Considering making complaint to the communication ombudman as I have been without broadband for 2 weeks since Telstra outage in my area. 

Highlighted

guys. any idea on when this is going to start working again. after 27th friday last, I dont have internet connection and then suddenly it worked for an hour yesterday. ever since it went back to 3 red lights.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more