Level 2: Rookie

Telstra 4GX MODEM no LAN

I have one of these connected to a switch via LAN port 1. The LAN indicator light shows a connection however it cannot be seen by either a mass storage HD, Telstra T box or a computer. I have tried removing the switch and use a direct CAT 5 cable to each unit with no success.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra 4GX MODEM no LAN

Is your modem set up to prove a network? DHCP enabled, addresses set eic.

A simple unmanaged switch may not show any connection status as in itself it doesn't use an IP address. But devices you connect to the switch, should pull an IP address from the modem IP pool...

have you tried connecting device to the modem using WiFi?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

You have to forgive if we ask basic questions, it's usually because information is lacking..

You have tried a different switch and ethernet cables?

Did you try connecting devices by Wi-Fi ?

It is possible that the modem LAN port is faulty..   

If you plug something in while viewing the Modem GUI do you see any activity (even if not successful)?

Did the modem LAN port ever work?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Yes the WIFI works but I am not a fan of using it.

Ah the net, Yes I have tried different cables and the switch is brand new and shows a connect light on the port connected to the Modem but nothing else. However as I have already mentioned I have tried to connect individually to the modem with no success.

When I plugged it in last time the LAN light took several minutes to show, however it made no difference once it came on.

Yes it did work several months ago when I last used it

Can you please confirm which modem you have, there might a a little label under the cover or on the back...

Stevo 52

Huawei B618 CE77

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you selected LAN only from the Connection mode drop down list (Settings> Ethernet > Ethernet Settings)?

I was just trying to determine if the DHCP was functioning..  :-)

Stevo 52

It is greyed out but it is selected. I did wonder why I could select anything else.

I think the LAN feature on this must be toast, I'll put in a fault with Telstra and get another one. Thanks for the help everyone.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more