cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra 5G Home Modem (AW1000) mass storage access using login not working.

I am trying to set up the drive connected to USB port as Network drive that requires a user to login.

By default these modems are set up with anonymous login. When configure with anonymous login can access drives.

When configured with a user name and password the modem displays drives in Windows explorer but denies access. Keeps on asking for password even though username and password has already been entered.

Does anyone else have same problem or has been able to set up the drives connected to USB port with a username and password?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Marty_M
Level 8: Inspector

Re: Telstra 5G Home Modem (AW1000) mass storage access using login not working.

Try changing the password on your smbv2 

Note: make sure the password is NOT the same as your router gateway admin access.

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
cf4

Thanks for your reply.

Tried editing default account (smba) and using different passwords.

Tried creating a new account, and tried different passwords with new account.

Tried deleting default account (smba) and creating new account with various passwords.

Nothing allows access to drive or drives attached to modem's USB port. 

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - out of interest, I connected a USB stick to my Arcadyan LH:1000 FW: 0.12.15r and it appears to also have anonymous login from my PC directly connected to it - no User ID and Password function control on accessing the contents. Maybe the credentials check was removed when SMB2 was introduced in previous firmware. 

Would User ID and Password Log-In access to Mass Storage only apply for external Remote Access Users when modem is in non 5G Router Mode and Anonymous Log-In applied to all internal devices connected to the LAN.

I used the suggestion in this URL to verify what version of SMB was running on the modem - its 2.0.2.

Open a file on the USB drive, Run PowerShell as Administrator with -   get-smbconnection. 

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/134827-smb-my-network.html 

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-smbconnection

ServerName      ShareName    UserName    Credential    Dialect    NumOpens
----------               ---------            --------            ----------        -------      --------
Telstra-Modem   sda1               'PC NAME'  'PC NAME'       2.0.2       4

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Marty_M

Yeah seams smb2 via telstra modem usb is dodgy...

I disabled DLNA and enabled smbv2 with password and while my TV still connects without a problem or password requirement; I cannot connect to the same network attached storage via my PC or tablet devices.

Very strange. I might turn off wifi first and change the password and see if that makes any difference.

Mkrtich

Hi - I have a theory about how the credentials are being handled. Today I tested a Jetson Nano Ubuntu 18.04 connected to a newly acquired Arcadyan modem Ver 0.12.15r, set up separate network for Gen 2 modems experimentation and testing so it doesn't impact my primary network.  I connected my previous USB Drive A to it and got connected without a challenge making me suspect credentials are being ignored i.e. are anonymous. Previously in the Jetson Nano's SMB settings, when connected to my primary ARC modem yesterday, I selected Forget Registration on Power down, so the Nano could not have kept the credentials profile. 

To access the drives, I made the User ID field equal to the actual final destination name in the ARC path - sda1, so the connection path in Ubuntu (and Mac) would be smb://192.168.0.1/sda1/. I then inserted a different USB Drive B and Enabled SMBv2 which brought up the Access Authentication Log-In Fields, which I had previously seen in August 2020 when I did my first testing but no longer shows up on my primary ARC modem with SMBv2 Enabled, but I didn't enter any information. From the Nano, because the server path showed a FAT32 rather than a sda1 suffix in the ARC screen - using smb://192.168.0.1/FAT32/ went straight to the USB directory showing all the files on it.

Assume not entering credentials means no restrictions on access - anonymous. I haven't tested the Test ARC with Windows and Wi-Fi as yet. It all worked OK on the Primary ARC, so hopefully same outcome. Will try that  tomorrow.    

So it makes sense to me that each USB device that is connected to the modem's port is assigned its own, but what appears to be optional credentials, but if the credentials are set, then they become hidden once they are SAVED. To Unhide them, I discovered if you turn OFF Enable SMBv2, then turn it back ON, it brings up the Authentication fields allowing you to enter fresh credentials Log-In, if desired on whatever USB drive is currently in the modem. 

That made me smile  - and thought that you may also appreciate this somewhat of an IT Crowd workaround/discovery Smiley Happy 

The Ubuntu SMB connection dialog window gives you a choice of Anonymous or Registered Access and also gives you three Remember My Credentials Options - seems strange that Arcadyan screens have taken a minimalistic approach to SMB configuration settings which tend to confuse users. Ubuntu wouldn't let me choose Anonymous yesterday when the USB Drive A was connected to my Primary ARC modem -  confirming the Modem is doing the right thing when access rights have been set. I got Anonymous access straight through on both USB drives connected to the new ARC test modem today as I had not programmed and Log-In access credentials on it.  

Marty_M

Umm yeah that how I have been changing my password on smbv2 by disabling then enabling to gain access to the user name and password fields.

Seems strange that it doesn’t revoke access to already established connections when I have changed the password on smbv2...

cf4

When the LH1000 is set to SMBv1 it allows anonymous log in it is only when set to SMBv2 that the modem requires a login and password. When switched from SMBv1 to SMBv2 the modem switches from anonymous login to login requiring a user name and password and displays username and password fields so that these can be set. Once set a there is no need for modem to display username and password field until next switched from SMBv2 to SMBv1 and back to SMBv2..

Mkrtich

Thanks for confirming the configuration rules cf4 - makes perfect sense now. I did my Wi-Fi connection tests this morning with my Windows 10 netbook which verified your summarised conditions. 

1. Samba Enabled, Samba SMBv2 Enabled - OFF. USB A Icon and name 'Telstra Modem' not shown in File Manager only DLNA Telstra Media Icon showing.  Checked Windows Network Discovery and File & Printer Sharing were both ON. My PC is defaulted to SMBv2 by Microsoft, so I have left it at that state - so did not test Anonymous Log-In with an SMBv1 rollback on my PC.

2. Turned Samba SMBv2 Enabled - ON - the two credential fields appeared with pre-saved sda1 and password showing, SAVED just to make sure - then could access contents of USB A drive without challenge as the Windows 10 profile was previously saved in Windows 10 connection screen last year; Ticked 'Remember My Credentials'. Ejected USB A. Restarted PC and modem for insurance. 

3. Inserted USB B drive, Samba SMBv2 Enabled - OFF then ON to bring up credential fields. Edited to new name FAT32 and new password. SAVED. Discovered to make sure the password is under 10 characters or less as Windows connection screen will error with 11 (found that out after wasting 20 minutes of trying to connect) - finally chose 8 characters. 

4. Windows 10 only allows one profile at at time to be displayed - as the PC had saved credentials from sda1, the 'More Choices' link in the screen allows you to configure an alternative profile - FAT2 and its password. This time I chose not to Remember Registration.  I could see all the files on USB B.

All seems to work according to expectations with thanks to cf4 for clarifying the configuration rules.

Marty_M

Thanks Mkrtich worked perfectly. Clicked on the “More Choices” button and changed the user name to make it access my drive connected to the USB port on my LH1000 router. Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more