McTechO
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra 5G WiFi Pro NIC Port and 5G not working

The same issue as this post: crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/5g-wifi-pro/td-p/905026

After a Firmware, the NIC Port stopped working! I had it working for a day, and then it stopped working!

Now, as soon as you plug in the Network Cable the 5G looses service, unplug the cable the 5G Service boots back up.

This has to be by design, have the firmware writers built this feature in to stop the modem being accessed by 2x interfaces? One being WiFi and one being Network Interface Connection. This has made this modem completely useless for what I need!

I dont recommend purchasing this modem at all, not unless Telstra reenable the NIC and 5G interfaces all at once!

This is very frustrating as Telstra support is totally non existent also, so complaining to someone over in India that has zero experience on the device has no benefit on getting the issue resolved!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra 5G WiFi Pro NIC Port and 5G not working

I would suggest contact ZTE directly as they should have a better idea on what is happening with their devices.

either call 1300 789 475

or send an email to support@zte.com.cn

It's not a behaviour that should be happening according to the manual.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
McTechO

Thank You @Jupiter!

I have called and they, rightly so, want to roll back the Firmware. I have to email: mobile@zte.com.cn with the model and the IME and description of the problem.

Model: Telstra 5G Wi Fi Pro – ZTE AUSTRALIA (ztemobiles.com.au)

Truly, this is one of the most silly problems I have ever seen!

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate!

McTechO

For others that have this same problem, some photos of the issue:

• Blue Cable: Standard Network Cable.
  • Yellow Cable: Cross Over Cable.

You can see, the cable plugged in, the device goes offline on the 5G, 4G and other suitable networks.

This was not the case for the first day, not until the device did the auto update.

I hope this helps others!

McTechO

ZTE Never responded - They have left me with a NON Working Device!

How do companies get away with this sort of thing??? Shame!

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - Sorry to read you are still getting the run around. Straight through cable should work.

This is clearly a defective outcome of the last firmware update - it is as if the insertion of a LAN cable has instructed the modem to go into some sort of IP Data Offload mode cutting off the 5G WAN. In other hotspot modems, when activated, it converts  the LAN port to a WAN port which is interconnected to a secondary landline connected router's LAN port allowing existing Wi-Fi devices connected to the Hotspot to access the Internet through the secondary router. Is there any mention of IP Data Offload in the upgraded firmware GUI screens?

I would encourage you to contact Telstra and get connected to Platinum Support - there should be no charge as this is clearly a fault. Hopefully you will get a more reasonable response from a technically qualified person and if not you may wish to request a refund of the purchase or cancellation of the rental plan. This is not an inexpensive 5G modem - our consumer protection laws are fairly clear on product not fit for purpose.

P.S. - There are some posts on Whirlpool that refer to using the LAN port, however I assume they are for previous release firmware and some comments have muddied matters by referring to IP Passthrough ( Bridge Mode). 

Emily99
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there, if you've got a fault with our Telstra 5G WiFi Pro - best to get in contact with our faults department. I understand you had trouble receiving support for this one over the phone. Perhaps our online messaging team could be of assistance. 

You can chat with them here:  https://tel.st/u327g

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

McTechO

The ZTE 5G WiFi Pro is a bucket of Mud and I simply have spend way to long trying to resolve this issue. I am looking at a Netgear 4G WiFi Modem, 400 dollars, nearly 300 dollars cheaper than the ZTE modem router. Its just a total waste of money and time, no point continuing with this bucket of MUD!

I would very strongly recommend to all potential customers, do not buy this modem router!

Buy a respected, known to be reliable and have good support, brand! Get a Netgear instead! Here is an example: Netgear-Nighthawk-AX4-4-Stream-4G-LTE-WiFi-6-Router 

I have had nothing but a bad experience with very little support from both Telstra and ZTE! I am extremely disappointed!

My Time is worth more and I should bill Telstra for loss of time! $320 an hour, I could have bought 10 modem routers!

Are they still 51 government owned?

McTechO

My login is directly attached to my account, so how about Telstra contact me?

Maybe my time already spent trying to resolve this issue can be returned by Telstra?

I do find your post somewhat insulting! I have been in IT for 25 years, you think I should spend all day on the phone or with some poorly programed ai customer support? Sorry, how about you, directly, call me and offer me a new modem router? Perhaps 6 months free service also for the trouble I have had?

Best wishes...

Jupiter

Telstra don't have access to your account details through Crowdsupport. Privacy rules around their interactions through social media (like Crowdsupport - classified as such due to the public nature of the comments system) prevent them from doing so. So, no, nobody will contact you outside of this forum as a result of a request through this forum.

Unfortunately, the customer support that you have been dealing with are real humans (other than Codi, who only acts as the gatekeeper to direct customers to the best support option - who does need some more training, but has been getting better over time), and most of them can only deal with issues that they have been trained to deal with (ie the basics).

As for your device, given that ZTE have told you that it is a firmware issue caused by them, I'm not sure what getting a new device is going to accomplish. You would still end up with a device that has the same faulty firmware installed on it (or it will have within a couple of minutes of initially turning it on - that's why I'm not a fan of automatic updates, even on initialisation). You do however have a claim for a refund under ACL as the device is no longer fit for purpose. Telstra would then have to take it up with ZTE after refunding you to get ZTE to reimburse Telstra. You could then buy a different model of modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
McTechO

Still waiting... Seems Customers Time is just not valued at all!

Very dissatisfied!

McTechO

Support started at: 8:45

Over an hour, no progress at all! More Time Wasted!

Is this really satisfactory? I am the Customer, I have been supplied with Faulty Equipment! I am so dissatisfied!

McTechO

Still waiting, 2 hours, wow I guess Telstra have a stop work meeting and told no one?

Jupiter

That's not unusual. Standard wait times for an initial response can run to a few hours. It can then take a few hours between responses (the consultants are dealing with multiple chat sessions at once unfortunately).

Posting the link to this post isn't really going to get you a response any quicker as I doubt that they will click on the link. You need to actually type out your problem.

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @McTechO For this you'll need Mobile Faults team and they can look into that with you.

Support teams via Messaging won't be able to see your CrowdSupport thread though, and as they are not a LiveChat service replies may not be immediate. Your app will let you know when you receive a response, or you may prefer to call the number in your screenshot of the automated message.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

McTechO

So you're telling me the information your collogue @Emily99 gave me is wrong?

UFB!

Time Wasters you all are!

You supplied Faulty Equipment! 

After 2.5 hours I terminated the waste of time! Still ZERO Support from telstra and zte!!!

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Not at all, it looks like we've essentially given you the same information - that is to speak to faults via Messaging or by phone. As I understand it the device wasn't supplied faulty, but became faulty after an update? Mobile Faults can certainly discuss your options with you via the provided contact options, as this isn't something we'll be able to resole for you via CrowdSupport. We look forward to assisting via Faults though. 

McTechO

It is clear you have no idea on the zte Telstra 5G WiFi unit, it is set to AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE!

It updates itself once connected to the internet - It is clear you do not know about the device! A shame as your response shows other readers how much time can be wasted with Telstra Support!

How about you send this issue through to your team leader and escalate this before Telstra look any worse in-front of the general public!

I am extremely dissatisfied with Telstra's terrible support! Also their Faulty Equipment! It is clear from the first post, link provided, I am not the only one!!!

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for clarifying, so we'll be happy to assist you further via Mobile Faults on Messaging or by phone. 

McTechO

Did you not read the last post?

After 2.5 hours, I terminated the Chat, it is a Total Waste of Time! 

$800.00 OF MY TIME WASTED, YOU WILL BE GETTING A BILL FOR THIS!

Jupiter

Do not terminate the chat. That just guarantees that you won't get a response. Leave the chat open, 2.5 hours is nothing on chat unfortunately (especially on a weekend). If you are using the My Telstra app on your mobile, you will get a notification on your mobile when someone responds. You don't need to sit in front of the screen to wait for a response. You can get on with life in the meantime.

dbarnett
Level 2: Rookie

Can confirm I've had exactly the same problem... same modem, same drop out occurring after automatic firmware upgrade.  Also "IP-Passthrough" option in the modem web settings will also shut down the connection.

Dodgy firmware update. 

@McTechO  Gotta say thank you for putting in the time and hard work for me (!!!) . 

Did ZTE ever send through the firmware rollback and did that work for you?

McTechO

Hello @dbarnett,

No, I spend over an hour on the phone with zte, they asked me to send an email with the details, and I never got a response back. zte did not want to help at all over the phone, only to admit the problem.

Thank You for responding and replying to this thread! I am pleased to hear others are seeing the same problem and coming forward! Maybe Telstra may have to do a recall on faulty equipment! Or perhaps someone will start a class action to force the repair of the faulty equipment?

Being ripped off, sold brand new faulty equipment and to be locked into a contract with the faulty equipment, is a horrific situation in todays world!

Bring on Starlink! Elon, do it old mate. Faster, Cheaper, more reliable!

High-speed, low latency broadband internet. Starlink is now delivering initial beta service both domestically and internationally, and will continue expansion to near global coverage of the populated world in 2021. During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all. As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically.

Jupiter

And then Elon updates the firmware the first time and his satellites catch fire and burn up, restoring the night sky for those of us who have astrophotography as a hobby. Plus, you are looking at a service that is fundamentally for fixed services to replace a mobile solution?

But seriously, people who use the phrase "class action" have no idea how much they cost. It would cost you far more to launch a cost action (even before it reaches the stage of obtaining funding, let alone a court deciding whether to accept it) than you would ever receive in compensation.

McTechO

I finally got onto someone at Telstra today, I only spent an hour on the messenger: https://tel.st/u327g

I spoke to Liam, he was extremely helpful!

Liam has shipped another modem! I did the best I could to advise that I believe the firmware was the cause and that if the firmware were to be updated again, via the automatic Firmware Updater, the same issue would very likely occur.

One can turn off this feature, by unchecking the tick-box.

Finally I have had some service that is satisfactory! Thank You Liam, you have saved Telstra from certain Doom in my book! If only I got Liam three months ago when this issue started!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more