Blacky17557
Level 6: Bloodhound

Telstra Battery Power Backup for my Telstra Smart modem seems Faulty!!

Answered

Hi.  I have just purchased a Telstra Branded Battery Backup for my Telstra Smart Modem, Gen 2. When it arrived - I set it up - which involved removing the power supply from the modem and putting it back in the box - and then connecting the New Power Supply from the Battery Backup Device to my Modem. It then took approx 5-6 for the Battery Backup Device to fully charge (Indicated by a blue light) and it was all up and running.

The issue is that there is an On/Off Switch on this device. One press for On and two presses for Off. It doesn't work!! I arranged a replacement Battery Backup - set it up the same as the original device - fully charged - Blue Light - and again the On/Off Switch does NOT work. There is nothing in the Manual or Online that I can find that explains this issue!  Can anyone shed some light on this please. Is the On/Off Switch actually disconnected within this device or is there something else causing this issue please. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Battery Power Backup for my Telstra Smart modem seems Faulty!!

The on off switch might just be to turn backup on or off. Have you tried on off switch with mains power disconnected or turned off.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4
Accepted Solution

The on off switch might just be to turn backup on or off. Have you tried on off switch with mains power disconnected or turned off.

View solution in original post

Blacky17557

Hi CF4.

Such a logical solution - which worked!!  Thank You!!

I can't believe that neither Telstra Technical Support (Who I was on the phone to for a long time) nor The Complaints Manager that I spoke to knew that this would be the solution!!

It appears the first unit wasn't faulty and that getting the replacement as I did - was a waste of time!!

Thanks again for taking to time to make my life easier!!! Appreciated!!

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Please can you provide a link to where you bought it, as I can't find it anywhere including a Telstra store. Thanks

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
343GuiltySpark

Hey @ProfessorPhone

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/priority-assistance/uninterruptible-power-sup...

I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras
ProfessorPhone

Thanks very much Guilty Spark

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Blacky17557

Hi.  Just giving you the heads up about ordering this item.

It took forever. You can't buy it online even though it says that you can on the telstra website. You can't order it over the phone either - or so I was told. I tried, after being on the phone forever, only to be told they couldn't do it - and they instead sent my request to the Telstra Complaints Department. They also said that it was not possible and that I needed to go to a Telstra Shop. I rang the 4 closest Telstra Shops - and guess what? They knew nothing about it and further said that they couldn't order it in. I rang the number on the Telstra Website AGAIN and after nearly an hour - they found a way to order it. A long journey this was!!! I called 1800 220 033. 

Hope this helps Professor Phone!!

Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@343GuiltySpark wrote:

Hey @ProfessorPhone

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/priority-assistance/uninterruptible-power-sup...

@343GuiltySpark Never knew that existed :-)

Although, I do have my modem plugged into a pure sin-wave UPS anyway, its good to know these things are available :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
343GuiltySpark

They're pretty hand for Medical Priority customers that rely on there landlines in the event of a short blackout. Anything longer that 4 hours the modem should be connected to a UPS or a mobile should be fully charged ideally with a mobile power bank to recharge it over extended blackouts or a hand powered recharger :-P
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more