Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Business Smart Modem Netgear V7610 eventually blocks all remote site traffic as intrusion

This is still an issue, yet my original post from May was archived, and my second post in September was incorrectly marked as "Answered".

The problem continues to impact Telstra Business customers on NBN VDSL services.

The firmware version is V2.2.2.21 (same as my September post)

Remote connections will work fine via port forwarding, but then after a period of time, maybe after there are a lot of "real" intrusion detections that are blocked, the V7610 starts marking all remote connections as intrusion, preventing staff to connect.

Open to other suggestions, but a valid solution, in my opinion, requires a firmware update that either stops marking every connection as an intrusion, or offers a feature enabling the ability to white list public IP addresses that would therefore never be marked as an intrusion, or a bridge mode that simply passes all traffic to a dedicated firewall / router that handles all port forwarding etc., or an alternative Telstra "approved and supported" NBN VDSL modem with VOIP.

This modem is costing a lot of businesses time and money with down time and call outs to their MSPs to fix these issues. The business owners of several of our customers are becoming increasingly frustrated, due to how long it is taking to find a problem solution,  particularly when these issue occur "out of hours" and while working remotely, so they can't simply walk over and reboot the V7610.

Having to regularly restart these modems during Business Hours also impacts telephone calls.

Restarting the modem or even worse for some incidents having to factory reset the modem and restore all configuration, in my opinion is not a solution to this problem, but merely a per incident workaround fix.

Anyone who wants to check if they are also suffering from this issue, you simply logon to the V7610 modem, and follow these quick instructions...

Click on the Advanced menu (beside Basic)
Click Administration, to expand administration options
Click Logs
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Download button

Save the file and then open it, using a suitable editor such as Notepad++, WordPad or Word. Regular Notepad doesn't cope with the lack of carriage return characters for each line of the log.

Then search for an IP address that shouldn't be marked as intrusion, and if it has been blocked due to intrusion the line will read like this...

kernel: Intrusion -> IN=ptm0.1 OUT=br0 MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx src=your.ip.address.searchfor DST=internal.ip.address.target LEN=52 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=121 ID=3623 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=sourceport DPT= Weekday, Month Day, Year HH:MMSmiley FrustratedS

Regards,

AjN3806

Regards,
AjN3806

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra Business Smart Modem Netgear V7610 eventually blocks all remote site traffic as intrusio

With the port forwarding did you enable it on both TCP and UDP
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Re: Telstra Business Smart Modem Netgear V7610 eventually blocks all remote site traffic as intrusio

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
With the port forwarding did you enable it on both TCP and UDP

I would assume just TCP, but checked a few customers to be sure, and found a couple that were TCP/UPD.  Hmmm, could that be the problem?

Regards,
AjN3806
Highlighted

I'd try enabling on both TCP/UDP and see if that resolves the issue.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
I'd try enabling on both TCP/UDP and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks @343GuiltySpark

One of the customers that has the problem more frequently is already TCP/UDP.

Just curious, but why do you think TCP vs TPC/UDP would have a bearing on whether a remote IP address would eventually be classified as an intrusion attempt?

Regards,
AjN3806
Highlighted

One of my colleagues mentioned it when I asked about your issue and something about ipv6 and NBN from memory.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I signed up to these forums just so I can add more weight to your post AjN3806.

I work at another managed service provider and although in 99% of cases, we get customers to NOT get the DOT package and we supply a better router, but we do have a few customers that we've inherited that already had the V7610 in place and it isn't easily ripped/replaced because of the interconnectivity with the DOT phone system.

We've been seeing very similar issues. We have 1 customer who has an RD Gateway setup (RDP over SSL essentially) and that just suddenly stops working from time to time. You can even set up another port forward but all traffic is stopped until it is next rebooted. We also have another customer who has an internal bookings system for their business. Again, it's over SSL and it will just stop all traffic periodically until the next reboot of the V7610.

These are just 2 recent examples. I'm sure the function in the router is well intentioned, however it is causing headaches for both us and the customer.
Highlighted

Thanks JustinBP,
We actually have a customer today that is suffering from this exact issue, and even a factory reset of the V7610 and re-adding all of the required port forwarding has failed to resolve the incident.
My colleague is talking to Telstra on their behalf.

I've noticed the firmware has updated to V2.2.2.28

Regards,
AjN3806
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I've also got this problem with a number of clients. All running V2.2.2.28. Only temporary fix I've found at the moment is to roll the firmware back to V2.2.2.6 which works correctly until Telstra push their faulty firmware back to the modem again. 

Highlighted

@Adster wrote:

I've also got this problem with a number of clients. All running V2.2.2.28. Only temporary fix I've found at the moment is to roll the firmware back to V2.2.2.6 which works correctly until Telstra push their faulty firmware back to the modem again. 

Hi Adster,

That one customer of ours from a couple of weeks ago that failed to work after a factory reset and adding all the port forwards back, had to be re-configured with new port forward rules with alternative port numbers.  This then of course resulted in all remote computers having to be re-configured with new ports for their remote connections.  Again this is not a solution, merely an incident service restoration measure.

Regards,

AjN3806

Regards,
AjN3806
Highlighted

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
One of my colleagues mentioned it when I asked about your issue and something about ipv6 and NBN from memory.

Thanks 343GuiltySpark for the ipv6 suggestion,

For the latest incident today with another customer, with the assistance of a Telstra representative we have disabled ipv6.  Let's see how that goes... fingers crossed!

Regards,
AjN3806

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more