Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Cable Gateway Max Wireless printer - Airprint

Answered

Hi,

I am using a Telstra Cable Gateway Max (C6300) and I am trying to get Airprint to work over both the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz networks. I use a Brother HL2340DW which I connect wireless to the 2.4GHz network (it cant do the 5GHz band). My Apple devices use the 5GHz network as they give me better wireless speeds. If I connect my Apple devices to the 2.4GHz network Airprint works fine but not if they are connected to the 5GHz band. If I use the 5GHz network, the Apple devices say "No Airprint printers found". The problem seems to be that Airprint doesn't work on the Gateway Max modem if the Apple devices and the printer are on different networks/bands. 

It seems that the Telstra Gateway modem/router by default isolates the two networks. Most routers have a setting that allow disabling this. I had a look in the (advanced) Wifi settings and I can't find any settings that might relate to disabling the access point wireless isolation. I did a google search for the Netgear C6300 and 'wireless isolation' and it appears that modem is capable of disabling this. Pehaps Telstra has hidden this in its modem software? Has anyone else come across this? And found a solution to the problem?

Of course the easy solution is to connect to the apple devices to the 2.4GHz network... If only it this wouldn't reduce the wireless speeds so much...

Btw, the modem details are as follows:

Telstra Cable Gateway Max (Netgear C6300)

Hardware version: C6300BD-202

Software/firmware version: 5510_V10413

Regards & Thank you

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Cable Gateway Max Wireless printer - Airprint

I can confirm that the C6300 does not isolate the local network between the two bands as I just tested it with my MacBook Pro and ThinkPad connected on different bands.

I have a network printer connected to my network via Ethernet. It has a manually assigned static IP address so it never changes which makes diagnosing and discovering it easier. Try assigning your AirPrint printer a static IP address and connect it via Ethernet (if possible) to see if it solves the issue. If it doesn't, try printing without using AirPrint such as adding a network printer manually.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

While I do not use Airprint, I am fairly certain that the C6300 does not isolate the two bands. Devices connected via Ethernet, 2.4GHz and 5GHz should all be able to see each other. I believe device isolation is only available on guest networks. In that case, is your 5GHz network configured on a guest network? Capture.PNG

Highlighted

Hi TheProcessor, thanks for the response. To answer your question, no I don't have a guest network enabled. I did notice that it is possible to enable isolation of the access point for a guest network (makes sense). 

I am just wondering, if the two bands aren't isolated and all devices are on the same network, then in theory AirPrint should work over the two bands. The plot is thickening! 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I can confirm that the C6300 does not isolate the local network between the two bands as I just tested it with my MacBook Pro and ThinkPad connected on different bands.

I have a network printer connected to my network via Ethernet. It has a manually assigned static IP address so it never changes which makes diagnosing and discovering it easier. Try assigning your AirPrint printer a static IP address and connect it via Ethernet (if possible) to see if it solves the issue. If it doesn't, try printing without using AirPrint such as adding a network printer manually.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the confirmation and the testing. I have just assigned a static IP address to the printer and am still running it via WIFI. This seemed to have fixed the problem. Thanks mate.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more