CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Max 2 Parental Control problems

Answered

Has anyone managed to successfully set up the Parental Control on Telstra Gateway Max 2 to block access to certain sites (say facebookj) for certain devices conected to the WiFi network. I have enable the Parental COntrol, created the rule per instructions and restarted the modem but the device in question can still access the 'blocked' site. The rule is showing but it does not work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max 2 Parental Control problems

I was able to test it but only on websites that used the HTTP prefix.   HTTPS or Mobile apps traffic didn't get stopped.   I believe it cannot be filtered as the text gets encrypted by the browser and the Modem can’t determine the content of the text.  Even tasks as simple as a google searching won’t get filtered these days as Google traffic is now HTTPS too. So because of this any website accessed via HTTPS instead of HTTP, will not be blocked by the Gateway.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

The Parental Controls on the Telstra Gateway's aren't amazing, however they do have parental controls as a part of Telstra Broadband Protect - which is included as a part of many of the bundle offers - and the info is here: http://tel.st/tbp
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

I am not sure if you have carefully read my question. Broadband Protect enables access blocking to specific sites but that works for ALL devices attached to my modem. Blocking access for individual devices, to the best of my knowledge, can only be done in the Gateway itself. That is why such feature exists but it does not seem to work. I have used such modem feature successfully in the past, albeit with non-Telstra modems. So my original question remains: does Parental Control in the Gateway actually work? It would be great to hear from somebody who managed to do it (or who could not do it, like myself). I have a feeling that it is a firmware bug. I can add that I could not manage to get it work in both TG797 and TG800.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Changes in the Telstra Broadband Protect become active almost immediately. If the changes have not taken effect:

• Close all browser windows then reopen a new browser window, and try again.
  • If it still doesn't work, try clearing the browser cache before trying again.
  • If the problem continues, please contact our Tech Support team on 133 933 and say "security" 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

My originaal question was not about Broadband Protect (that you set up through your Telstra account) but Parental Control in the Gateway modem itself that is accessible after logging into the modem's configuration panel on 10.0.0.138. I find it hard to believe that nobody ever used this facility which would be very convenient for parents, if it only worked. By adding a rule into the modem one should be able to block access to, say facebook, for one computer but not the others connected to that modem. So if there are Telstra technical experts on this forum I would like to ask them if they have tried to set up the modem-based Parental Control to check if website access blocking is operational. They can do it in 5 minutes. I have a feeling that technical support is trying to swipe this issue under the carpet.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey plezor,

This isn't a feature I have played with, if only because I don't have any children at this point in time.

Is the modem itself not allowing you to configure the Parental Control, or is it failing to enforce the rule once it is in place?

Highlighted

There is no problem setting up the rule. It is just that the rule does not work after being correctly set up and after it is showing up in the Parental Control section. I tried this on TG797 and the latest TG800 with the same outcome. Telstra technical support is not very supportive in saying if this feature is malfunctioning. They are keen to steer me towards the Broadband Protect which I already have and which can not selectively block devices on my WiFi network.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

On what basis does it identify the device to which the rule needs to be applied plezor? Does it ask for the IP of the device in question or does it use the MAC address?

Highlighted

When setting up the rule you first need to input the website you want to block and then start typing the name of the device as it appears in the WiFi connection list. Immediately after you start typing you get a drop down list to choose from. After you choose the device, the system takes its MAC address which is the basis of access blocking. It looks simple but it still lets the device in question access the blocked site despite the rule. I tried restarting the modem after setting up the rule but this made no difference.

Highlighted

It hasn't worked properly since they upgraded the firmware to Coral back 2 years ago now on the TG797n v3 and have used the same v15 software for the TG800 from my understanding. I have tried testing it and I can't get it to work on my TG799, but I don't have a TG800 to test it on so I can't test in the same situation.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Current TG797 software is 15.3 while the new TG800 has 16.1 and both have this bug. I am asthonished that Telstra is showing no interest in fixing this clearly old problem. They do not even admit it and pretend that they do not understand what I am talking about. Telstra's modems are apparently contract manufactured by Technicolor, French company formerly known as Thomson (they own rights for Technicolor movie film process!). Surely those guys are capable of sorting this out. And if not maybe Telstra should look for another partner. Or perhaps these modems are working as designed and the 'solution' is to use Broadband Protect service which comes, at least for some customers, at additional cost.

Highlighted

Is Big_Dan (or somebody else from Telstra support) around to comment on this issue? Maybe he can shed some light on what Telstra is doing to resolve the problem.

Highlighted

I seem to recall a list of known issues and limitations in 15.x and that was one that was listed as under investigation but as I am on my phone I doubt I would be able to find it. Those sorts of posts can be hard enough to find on the computer sometimes. Not sure when that list was last updated though either.
Helpful Links

Highlighted

So that's it? Wall of silence from Telstra? They are supplying the equipment which is clearly faulty in the Parental Control area and, since there is no vision of when and if this issue will be resolved, I will be looking for another provider. I hope other customers will consider such move as Telstra does not deserve our business.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi plezor,

The latest modem firmware only has the Time of Day access enabled.  There is an option for URL blocking in the Advanced Section > Parental Controls Card. However it doesn't work with mobile apps.

Highlighted

The way you have worded it, it sounds like a feature rather than a malfunction (reminds me of new Krusty burger from the Simpsons: 'Now without lettuce!'). Why is site access blocking not enabled in modem's Parental Control section? If this was intentional then you would not even have rule setting there in the first place? And it worked in the past version of the software. Does this affect all Telstra's modems?

Can you elaborate on this URL blocking you mentioned? In which modem does this work (I currently have a TG797 up and running)? Where can I find more info on this?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, 

Most Telstra modems will have a version of the latest firmware, including the TG797.  

You'll be able to find a Parental Controls Card in the Advanced section of the modem interface.  When you open up this card there is the ability to create a URL blocking rule.  

Highlighted

But this entire discussion in on URL blocking not actually working after creating the rule. Are you saying that it is actually working? Have you tested it as I as well as DrQ can not make it work.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have tested it on my TG797 at home and as I've previously mentioned it doesn't work with mobile apps. 

Highlighted

I have tested it and it does not work at all. For example I have set the rule to block access to facebook and it does not block the browsers form accesing it (checked with IE and Edge). If this worked I would not be here looking for a solution.
Highlighted

Kenobi, can you confirm if URL access blocking for individual devices on a WiFi network works in any of Telstra's gateways.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

I was able to test it but only on websites that used the HTTP prefix.   HTTPS or Mobile apps traffic didn't get stopped.   I believe it cannot be filtered as the text gets encrypted by the browser and the Modem can’t determine the content of the text.  Even tasks as simple as a google searching won’t get filtered these days as Google traffic is now HTTPS too. So because of this any website accessed via HTTPS instead of HTTP, will not be blocked by the Gateway.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks Kenobi. This answer makes sense and after a search I found that all modems have problems with blocking https URLs. So after all this is not a problem of Telstra gateways which is good to know. I only wish Telstra support personnel were better informed on this so they can give the right info to the customers. Case closed as far as I am concerned. Cheers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more